CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
John Tadlock

Profile:
Barbara

Check this out:
I get home after my first workout with CF (Barbara). And it's posted for tomorrow's WOD. Crazy! Since I've only dabbled with weights the majority of my life, the pull-ups kicked my ***. I dropped them down to 15 and only did 3 rounds. Air squats...WOW! They worked that ***. People were looking at me like i was weird. If they only knew how much my thighs were burning. Thanks JT
Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
Marty Bialas

Profile:
Re: Barbara

these workouts are killer for sure. I did the 120 - 120 yesterday and now I see I have five more sets of pull ups staring me in the face again! A bit confused on why we are hitting the same body part the next day with such intensity but mine is not to question why but to do or die!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
John Devine

Profile:

Anyone know why we "Rest precisely three minutes between each round"? Curious what the science is behind it.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

It's a power-biased WOD. With the three minute rest, you can do all the exercises unbroken at a very fast pace without worrying as much about burning out later. The P-menu WOD's frequently use this set-up.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Jeremy Hill

Profile:

I did Barbara yesterday (that sounds soooo bad ) in 50 min. without the 3 min breaks. I really should read the whole WOD post before jumping into it.
It's been a while since I've done this workout and I don't remember what my last time was. So I'll use this one as my base time to meet or beat .

Cheers!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Zach Harris

Profile:

Barbara's my 2nd CF workout. I did it in about 55 minutes....I had to stop between the 4th and 5th round to vomit, quite violently, in the bathroom of my apartment complex's gym. The funny part was seeing the look on everyone's face who most certainly heard me in the bathroom as I went back for the last round.....I love this stuff.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

Barbara is one of the few WOD's that makes me ill every time. Something about letting the body rest for so long then suddenly jumping back into the up down back and forth metcon so fast just makes me want to

Sure does get you pumped though.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Christian Mason

Profile:

Me too. I did this one for the first time yesterday and naively though it "didn't sound too bad".

On the surface it wasn't, I've done workouts that HURT much more (FGB, Annie are you ok, Linda, Regurgitator, etc..) IT kind of suprised me when I nearly booted on the last set of pullups.

Like you said, something about the rest, then jumping up to the work really did not sit well with me.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
It's a power-biased WOD. With the three minute rest, you can do all the exercises unbroken at a very fast pace without worrying as much about burning out later. The P-menu WOD's frequently use this set-up.
Thanks Derek, that makes sense. I noticed that my times for the first 4 rounds were very consistent but the 5th really fell off. I know with less rest, they would have fallen off each round.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

I have only attempted Barbara three times. The first time I went out too hard and dropped out after three rounds. The second time I don't think I read the directions correctly about the three minutes rest. I paced myself more at about 12:00 a round, and 1:00 rest between for 1:05:30. This time I did read about the rest, but again went too hard (8:00 rounds) and dropped out after three rounds. So, what do you think the correct path should be? Pace myself more during the rounds, or take longer rests between them? BTW, here is an estimate (fairly accurate) of how my rounds went. The commas show a short break of like 10 breaths or so.

PU 1:30 10,10
PU 2:00 10,10,10
SU 2:30 20,20
SQ 2:00 25,25

My PU bar is a little short so during my kip, I have to bend my knees some to not drag the floor, and then bring my knees up in front of my chest. Fairly high metabolic hit. Push ups are something I need to work on more to pump out high volumes better. Tried to pace them here. Situps and squats could probably have been straight through. I was trying to walk the line between pacing myself a little bit and putting up a better time. Thanks in advance for any advice.