CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
Robin Owens

Profile:
Re: Morning crossfitters

I think there is a difference between feeling fine to workout and needing to eat. I might feel fine working out early in the morning without eating but I would be very worried about what my body is breaking down for the energy I am expending. No way I would workout without some simple carbs to burn for fuel.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #22
Bob Watson

Profile:

I usually work out at 0630 (PT time). I go empty stomach other than some water right after I get up in the morning (0545). Every once in a while I feel hungry on a run day and might eat a small granola bar for a boost if I'm doing more than 10K.

When I'm doing a METCON or some other psycho circuit I don't want anything sloshing around in there other than some water to wet my throat. Helps me keep Pukie away. I know you have enough glycogen stored in your liver for 20-30 minutes of hard work and I'm pretty sure anything less than one hour you should be good to go (I am), so I keep the gut empty other than water.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #23
Tim McFarland

Profile:

I usually work out at 5 am, don't ever eat ahead of time, although I do drink coffee during the workout - rather than a water bottle, I have my big cup of coffee.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #24
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I either go at 7:30, about an hour after waking, or at 5, after work.
I don't eat anything prior if I go in at 7:30, but I like to take a cup of honey-sweetened tea with me.
When I go in at 5, I've usually eaten a few hours beforehand.

I don't notice much difference in performance either way, honestly. Sometimes I have more energy at 5 than at 7:30, but the mood elevation post-workout is such a great start to my day.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #25
John Stirling

Profile:

I work evening shift and I do the WOD before work most days. I'll get up around 8 or so and normally have two meals in me before I hit the gym at around 11:30 or noon.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #26
Jim Evans

Profile:

I get up have strong coffee and typical breakfast of oatmeal (not quick) with plain yogurt or cottage cheese and about 7 almonds. It's usually 45 minutes later that I start warming up and an hour or so before hitting it hard. My stomach never bothers me in the WODs and I do go flat most of the time. I've also never puked during a WOD; I take that pukie feeling that I am going too hard for my goals. Hardly ever happens, usually gassed before that.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
Stephen Paul Sledge

Profile:

I usually have to eat a little something before my workout at 6am. I get a nautious feeling if I don't eat every three hours or so. I do limit my intake normally to half of a piece of wheat bread with peanut butter or half a bananna... I just recently started to clean up my diet somewhat so now it is a few grapes (I'm getting used to eating more fruit) and some orange juice.

After the workout I really have to work not eat immediately after.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #28
Bruce Duco

Profile:

I used to Xfit after work; around 6pm. But, since the birth of my daughter, I've been going before work at around 5am. I don't eat before I workout.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #29
Michael Givens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Owens View Post
So how did it go?
Sorry for the late response It went pretty well, actually. Push press day is always the most challenging WOD of the week for me, but I was able to maintain a good level of intensity. I remember that I even got a "Nice set!" from one of the folks nearby once I finished the last set.

From my workout log: Thursday 03/20/2008

This makes me think that I should start recording my pre-workout meals in my log.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #30
Sean McMaster

Profile:

I used to work out in the mornings, on an empty stomach - never had problems with that. Now my work schedule is different, and I have to be up at 0445 just to get to work by 0600. So I switched to evenings workouts. I work out around 2100 most nights, about 2-3 hours after dinner. No issues with that either.