CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Chris Gondos

Profile:
Are movements like the squat and deadlift harmful to the joints? I've heard a lot of people say to stay away from deadlifts cause they "destroyed my knees." Is this true?
Old 12-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Paul Nikhinson

Profile:  
Chris,

like anything else, if executed with poor form, excessive weight, or just general carelessness, the Dl and squat can leave you injured. HOWEVER, people who rule out these 2 extremely beneficial lifts simply because they have a slight potential for injury are shortsightedly cheating themselves out of remarkable progress. The benefits of these two movements are far too great for me to address without taking a couple of pages of room. Simply put, do these lifts!...make sure you have good form and you put common sense before ego and if anything they will make your knees, joints, and whatever else far more resistent to "destruction". The resistance to dl's and squats are remants of a backwards and nonsensical physioculture that prefers machines to do their work for them. Go out there and lift! everything else will sort itself out
Old 12-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Not if your using proper technique and using weights that are within your limits.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Anybody every seen a study that compares injuries rates of the deadlift to some of the isolation movements like leg extensions or curls?
Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
That would be an interesting study. My guess though is that many of the injuries due to leg extensions and curls are not associated with them. Like someone is off balance in their posterior chain with some muscles too strong and overcompensating. Then they get hurt walking down the stairs or something. The injury is due to wrong exercise but associated with the stairs instead.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
Chris Gondos

Profile:
Thanks for the response guys.
One more thing, I'm only 17 years old, am I too young to start powerlifting?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
Chris-

No, not at all, but as said before you want to make sure that your technique is perfect before you ry throwing heavy weight around. try to find someone in your area who can show you proper technique with the O-lift and power lifts. now is the most important time to do that, when you are first starting.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #8
Chris Gondos

Profile:
Thanks for the info Tanner. Well I'm off to the gym.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Andrew Brown

Profile:
If you're 17, I bet there's a coach at your school who'd be willing to help you with your technique. And even in this day and age of legal liability, I bet the football team does plenty of squats.

As to injuries, etc. The squat has been proven to improve knee stability over the long term (when done properly).

N.S.C.A. position paper on squats: http://www.nsca.com/publications/SQTforWeb.pdf

The best quotes are, "1. Squats, when performed correctly and with appropriate supervision, are not only safe, but may be a significatn deterrent to knee injuries... 4. The squat exercise is not detrimental to knee joint stability when performed correctly."

(Thanks LincolnB- you posted that link along with info on Dan John on some message board in 2001. It still works.)

The deadlift strengthens your whole body, but most importantly your lower back. Both exercises have a huge positive impact on bone density and tendon strength.

Those two movements more than any other in a gym will teach you how to safely pick up real-world stuff. By making your bones, tendons, knees, and lower back stronger, you're making yourself much less succeptable to injury.

You can find someone to say any exercise is dangerous- heck, I guess I could get carpal tunnel syndrome from typing this to you. However, a lot of folks tend to claim exercises they don't enjoy are the ones that're worst for you...I can't count the number of people who've told me that running is bad for their knees. I just know it's worse for me not to.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #10
Andrew Brown

Profile:
21-week study of NFL players doing squats, 1994.

"The results of this study support the conclusion that, with regard to AP translation, the squat exercise is a safe exercise to perform as part of an athlete's training and conditioning in normal knees. It is important that these intensive weight training programs be well supervised and that proper technique be emphasized while performing the squat exercise"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._15915628/pg_1