CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Re: Clean and Squat Clean - I've got a long way to go

Okay, I'm back at it again. I'm trying really hard, but for some reason, I'm having a real hard time keeping the bar path straight.

Did Squat cleans - or power cleans into front squat. This was week of high intensity, low volume. Did 95x3, 135x3, 185x1 (recorded), 225x1 (recorded), 255x1 (recorded), 285x1 (recorded), 245x1 (recorded), and 225x5 hang pc (recorded).

Really tried to work on using my legs, keeping my shoulders in front of the bar, and getting triple extenstion. All the while keeping the bar close to my legs during the second pull. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'm starting to get the idea.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrM2hFu5Jh0

After that, did front squats. 135x5, 225x2, 315x2, 335x2, 275x2, 225x2. kept the bar on my front delts and my hands on the bar. I was pretty stoked about that.

After that did Push Press, 95x5, 135x5, 185x2, 225x2, 285x2 (recorded), 255x2, 225x2

After that did some clean pulls: 135x2, 225x2 (recorded), 315x2 (recorded), 365x2 (recorded), 405x3 (recorded), 315x2

here's the link of the push press and the pulls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrgkAuv_FE

I really need to work on keeping the bar close to my quads on the second pull. It really shows in these movments. Particularly with the bar path. I need to lighten up and really focus on the path. Moreover, I'm not quite grasping how I'm to use my legs on the second pull. Something just isn't clicking for me right now. If anyone can help with that, I'm completely game.

I'm all ears for anyone willing to advise.

All the best,
Arden

Last edited by Arden Cogar Jr. : 12-04-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #22
Allen Yeh

Profile:

Long time no "see" Arden, hope things have been going well. I've been watching this thread and figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Okay, I'm back at it again. I'm trying really hard, but for some reason, I'm having a real hard time keeping the bar path straight.
It's not supposed to be straight, more of an S if anything.

Quote:
Did Squat cleans - or power cleans into front squat. This was week of high intensity, low volume. Did 95x3, 135x3, 185x1 (recorded), 225x1 (recorded), 255x1 (recorded), 285x1 (recorded), 245x1 (recorded), and 225x5 hang pc (recorded).

Really tried to work on using my legs, keeping my shoulders in front of the bar, and getting triple extenstion. All the while keeping the bar close to my legs during the second pull. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'm starting to get the idea.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrM2hFu5Jh0
Um...get weaker? Seriously though, watching you power curl weights that are heavier than my PR makes me feel very bad about myself! So cut it out! Ok seriously for real this time. You are power curling the weight once you reach knee height on your cleans. On the other video with the clean pulls that is what you should be striving for on the clean. Try not to bend your arms early. On the clean once you get to a certain height you should be striving to pull under not pulling it up. Does that make sense?

Things I'd look into
-A drill for whipping the elbows under the bar on the clean to try to get out of the power curling habit. You are supposed to whip your elbows under rather than bringing the bar up, I can't find a video for it so I'll try to explain as best I can.
1. Feet in pull position, hands are clean grip width
2. Bring the bar up to your sternum (like you would look in an upright row), keep the bar touching your chest
3. Now jump your feet into the receiving position and whip your elbows under and around the bar.
4. The end position should result with your feet in the receiving position and the bar racked up. w/ elbows up.
-Tall cleans - These may help with the getting under part check out the video link for a description and a video.
-2 + 3 position cleans - for you you should go from the top down rather than the top up meaning, high hang, hang(above or below knee) and floor - Greg told us that going from the top down drills technique more.
-Feet positioning drills - You are not moving your feet into the receiving position on your power cleans. Jumping your feet from the pulling to the receiving position is suppose to be really fast w/ as little vertical elevation as possible (I'm struggling with this too). A good way to check this is to use chalk or tape on the outsides of your feet in the 2 positions and drill the heck out of it.

A good resource for weightlifting videosWFS)
http://www.performancemenu.com/resou...on&sectionID=2

Push presses looked solid from behind, next time a side shot?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Allen,
Great to hear from you. Thanks so much!!! I know...I know....I've got a long way to go and you're absoltuely right, I really need to work on that second pull. I'm finally starting to get it with the clean pulls.

Pulling my body under the bar has always been a problem for me. It's a comfort level fear thing. I'm getting better and I'm going to drill the crap out of it with 135 until it becomes second nature. All from a high hang. I think I'm doing much better during my first pull, it's during the second pull that I'm losing it and turning it into a power curl.

I also really like the other drills you've suggested:

1. keep arms as straight for as long as I can. When the arm bends the power ends.
2. high pull fast elbows drill with bar on sternum.
3. jump into receiving position

I'm a serious work in progress and I really appreciate your thoughts and time.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Long time no "see" Arden, hope things have been going well. I've been watching this thread and figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in.

It's not supposed to be straight, more of an S if anything.

Um...get weaker? Seriously though, watching you power curl weights that are heavier than my PR makes me feel very bad about myself! So cut it out! Ok seriously for real this time. You are power curling the weight once you reach knee height on your cleans. On the other video with the clean pulls that is what you should be striving for on the clean. Try not to bend your arms early. On the clean once you get to a certain height you should be striving to pull under not pulling it up. Does that make sense?

Things I'd look into
-A drill for whipping the elbows under the bar on the clean to try to get out of the power curling habit. You are supposed to whip your elbows under rather than bringing the bar up, I can't find a video for it so I'll try to explain as best I can.
1. Feet in pull position, hands are clean grip width
2. Bring the bar up to your sternum (like you would look in an upright row), keep the bar touching your chest
3. Now jump your feet into the receiving position and whip your elbows under and around the bar.
4. The end position should result with your feet in the receiving position and the bar racked up. w/ elbows up.
-Tall cleans - These may help with the getting under part check out the video link for a description and a video.
-2 + 3 position cleans - for you you should go from the top down rather than the top up meaning, high hang, hang(above or below knee) and floor - Greg told us that going from the top down drills technique more.
-Feet positioning drills - You are not moving your feet into the receiving position on your power cleans. Jumping your feet from the pulling to the receiving position is suppose to be really fast w/ as little vertical elevation as possible (I'm struggling with this too). A good way to check this is to use chalk or tape on the outsides of your feet in the 2 positions and drill the heck out of it.

A good resource for weightlifting videosWFS)
http://www.performancemenu.com/resou...on&sectionID=2

Push presses looked solid from behind, next time a side shot?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #24
Allen Yeh

Profile:

Quote:

I'm a serious work in progress
Says the guy whose learning weights are more than my PR's!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #25
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Says the guy whose learning weights are more than my PR's!
sorry ...... lots of years of serious strength training under my belt and a really big bone structure. But, very much unlike you, I'm far from chiseled and "easy" on the ladys' eyes.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
sorry ...... lots of years of serious strength training under my belt and a really big bone structure. But, very much unlike you, I'm far from chiseled and "easy" on the ladys' eyes.

All the best,
Arden
awww...arden, did you just call allen pretty?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #27
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguasca View Post
awww...arden, did you just call allen pretty?

Allen's put together really well. I'm just sorta scary lookin'

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Okay, I didn't have a great session today. I think I'm getting worse. I'm trying to drop weight and I think it's sapping me pretty good.

Today after power snatching, I did some power cleans. I did tall cleans with 95 and 135. Then did some squat snatches with 185, then 235. I then did a nice, as Allen calls it, power curl with 265. After that, I dropped back down and did some more Tall cleans with 135.

there's also an obligatory "cheat meal set" of sumo deads of me playing with 585. My grip started failing so I had to cut the set short.

here's the wfs link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCOzxTsr9PQ

Oh, the little guy coaching me on in the videos won the 2006 WSM. I'm so lucky to have him as a training partner. Very inspirational.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Jason M Struck

Profile:

well or no, you're working on it and you are amongst friends. between that and a gym with the equipment, you are light years ahead of most!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #30
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Arden, this may or may not help, but you could give it a shot.

Your cleans seem to be predominantly hip involvement, which is contributing to the arcing, "cheat curl" nature of the movement. Try starting the second pull from a more upright position, with a more open hip and more bent knees, and driving more from the legs (jumping "up" more than snapping "back"). Perhaps that will help you.