CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Fun with Kettlebells

Here's some movements I've been doing with kettlebells that have proven to be quite, um...challenging.

KB in each hand simultaneous snatch
Thruster
Press

Pretty self explanatory...do a KB snatch with one in each hand simultaneously, starting between your legs of course. Once your bells are overhead, lower them to the shoulders and keep on going down into a deep squat and then come back up with a thruster. From that top position lower the bells to the shoulders and press back up again. That's one.

We did 10 of these as part of a larger workout and we were all breathing hard. As part of a 21-15-9 rep sequence this would be killer.

Flip and Dip

Do a two hand swing to about face height, flip and catch the handle and lower it as if you were going to swing again. But rather than swing do a SDLHP, release at the top and go down underneath the bell receiving it in a squat clean position, cradling the bell at the bottom. Stand aggressively and throw the bell into the air, catch it by the handle and go again.

Swing
Helicopter Spin
Swing
Flip to other hand

Do a one hand swing then when you swing again spin the bell horizontally. Catch the bell by the handle and lower it for another swing. When you come back up flip the bell and catch it by the handle with the other hand. Repeat with the other hand and go back and forth.

Squat clean
Thruster
OHS
Swing flip to other hand

Single bell squat clean and then stand and thruster the bell up to an overhead position. Once the bell is overhead, do an OHS. Once back up again do a swing and a flip and catch to the other hand. Repeat with other hand.

Help me add to my list of cool things to do with cannon balls with handles. I have Steve Cotter's encyclopedia's and Jeff Martone's H2H disks, what fun and games have you clever CrossFitters come up with?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Re: Fun with Kettlebells

Great combos, Eugene!

Gimme a call sometime and let's talk some KB training.

Because I'm training for the KB Worlds, I'm doing lots of timed sets with 1 exercise. With your background in endurance work, you should consider trying out some GS-style training.

The other day I did 304 1 arm C&Js with a 35# KB in 10 minutes, switching hands every 10 reps or so, and not putting them down the whole ten.

Two days later did 300 snatches with the 35# kb, switching every 20 reps for the first 200, then every ten for the last 100. Took about 15 minutes.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Are these throws as easy to mess up on and drop as they look? Especially when fatigued? Do you do these indoors?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Joseph Davidoski

Profile:

Do you have a link to the KB Worlds?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Tom Corrigan

Profile:

The KB worlds link can be found at

www.worldkettlebellclub.com

Go to You Tube and put "worldkettlebellclub" in the search function to see some amazing KB lifting videos.

Since you are in Virginia, I would encourage you to go down to Miami the weekend of Nov. 3-4, and see some amazing KB lifting. The Americans have made great strides in training over the past few years.

EDIT- on my previous post I said 304 1 arm C&Js in 10 minutes, BUT I meant 20 minutes....
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Tom,

Good luck w. your training - that's awesome.

Here's my favorite video btw (something to inspire: a 70lb kid jerking two 35# KBs - work, family safe of course): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9J61y1WBV4
Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

Brandon - the only one that is sure to cause a drop here and there is the helicopter spin. That sideways spin is harder to control and catch than the vertical spin. We train in my gym with stall mats so dropping the bells is expected and not frowned upon. With practice the dropping happens less and less but yes, with fatigue it does creep in unexpectedly. I'm going to have to video some of this stuff and put it on You Tube or some other video place just so you can see what it looks like. This stuff is really fun and great work.

Tonight we did:

Hypoxia

Row 250
5 Double KB Squat Clean and Thruster
10 Push Press
20 Alternating Snatch
10 Burpee Tire Jump Through
3 rounds for time

We used the 36 lb bells which still made for a lung busting workout and it took under 20 minutes. Amazing metcon effort.

Tom - yes, that high rep stuff interests me and I would like to give it a try. We need to chat about that.

The video of the kid jerking bells that add up to his weight is absolutely amazing. That would be like me doing the 88 pounders and I can't do what he did with 88 pounders. Awesome.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Michael A. Krivka

Profile:

Eugene -

Great stuff with the KB's and you can't go wrong following Jeff Martone's lead on his H2H DVD!

BTW - Next time you feel 'spunky' try my favorite combination:

Open-hand Snatch (R)
Open-hand Clean (R)
Pistol (R)
Put the KB down as you Squat-thrust to a Jumping Pull-up

Lather, rinse and repeat on the left side.

NOTE: we normally do this with a 53# put will sometimes use a 35#, 44# or a 62# depending on the composition of the teams. Have also made it progressive: start at 35# and work your way up to 62 - then back down again.

We do these for reps, for time, or as part of a small-team circuit. It's fun for all and it never fails to deliver! -

Last edited by Michael A. Krivka : 10-12-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add more detail to post...