CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-05-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
Steve

Profile:  
This is your opportunity to train with one of the best Strength & Conditioning coaches in the country. On Sun, Dec 7, Steve Cotter will be conducting a Full K.O.ntact Kettlebell workshop. This will coincide w/ the Dec 6 NC KB Open, hosted by Rufus Rankin. As an added bonus, Rufus will be giving a Clubbell/CST demo and Q&A at the end of the workshop.

The event is coming soon, so contact Steve now to secure your spot in this awe-inspiring and educational workshop!

Serious inquiries can be made to:

kettlebells@cox.net

Steve Cotter, Sr. RKC

What people are saying about Steve's Full K.O.ntact Kettlebell Workshops:

Outstanding. Steve makes it all look easy, which is a sign of a great teacher”
Frank Louvis, software/web development, NJ

“It is a pleasure and privilege to be taught by a rare individual like Steve Cotter. Excellent practitioner and instructor. CAN DO and CAN TEACH!”
Edward “Cayenne” Friedman, attorney, Long Island, NY

“The knowledge and quality of Steve’s presentation is excellent. Steve not only can explain all of the techniques, he can perform all of them with perfect form.”
--Jim Milkowski, Owner, The Training Room, Avon, MJ

Steve is a great instructor; I can’t wait until his video series comes out”
--Greg Killian, Full Contact/BJJ fighter, NJ

Steve is an excellent instructor—great analysis, form and content. I found that with the correct form, I could do things that I couldn’t before, which gave me a great sense of accomplishment.”
-Brewster Righter, Semi-retired, Long Island, NY

“I enjoyed the seminar very much. Steve is an excellent trainer and manages to reach different levels of students easily. As a beginner this was just what I needed.”
--Stephen White, Chef, Long Island, NY

“Your teaching style really allowed me to gain confidence with each new exercise, which allowed me to really try new things.”
--Father Thomas Weise, Roman Catholic Priest, Juneau, Alaska

“Full K.O.ntact Kettlebells filled in the gaps in my kettlebell knowledge. I cannot think of a better way to spend my money”
-Ellis Jones, Salesman/martial artist, San Diego, CA

“The course was excellent. It helped to have it explained how the components of the exercise fit together and which body parts involved. I learned why to do things a particular way and not just how.”
--Katie Zeigler, Youth Ministry Coordinator, Los Angeles, CA

“The teaching approach was great! A lot of detail and a lot of interaction with the other students. I learned a lot about teaching. Thanks!”
Ming Lau, Martial artist, San Diego, CA

Steve is an excellent instructor with a passion for fitness. Very knowledgeable about movement and its effects on the body.
Scott. G., Police officer, Escondido, CA

This is one of the best workshops I’ve ever attended. Steve is very knowledgeable and explains things very clearly. If a student does not understand he will find another way to explain it.
--Mike. F., Santee, CA

Steve, you are a great teacher. You have a wealth of knowledge that you share in meaningful ways
---Jeff. Fancy. middle school teacher, Coronado, CA

www.fullcontactkettlebells.com
Old 11-05-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Thanks for the introduction Steve.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Jeez, Robb, you're a polite guy (sarcastic, too, I hope).

Steve's e-mail is basically spam . . . using a discussion site for personal aggrandizement and financial gain . . . and the sender deserves the same scorn and contempt that all spammers deserve.

Steve may be a nice guy, and maybe even a decent KB coach . . . but making his first post ever on a website into an advertisement for himself simply shows a complete lack of class.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
David Werner

Profile:
I loved your response Robb

Steve Cotter I have met, and he really is a good guy, extremely strong, a good instructor and very pleasant in person. Much of what he has written on other web sites is thoughtful and articulate.

But this post was far below his normal standards. Steve please rethink this spam-ish marketing approach.

Regards

David Werner
CrossFit North
Old 11-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Steve

Profile:  
Yes David. of course. I see that I was in error in posting this hear. Please forgive my oversight. My enthusiasm clearly came across as over-the-top, to say the least.

To those of you that I offended, I apologize.

As for deserving scorn and contempt, that seems a bit excessive. My chat room etiquette was in poor taste, I now recognize, but the post was still done in the spirit of offering a service and quality information. Perhaps I have been reading too much material on marketing. Those that know me do not question my class.

I am willing to recognize when I am in error and hope that you gentlemen can recognize an unintentional mistake rather than assume a purely capitalistic motive.

Respectfully,

Steve Cotter
Old 11-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Now that response warrants a group hug doesn't it? :-)....or you could skip it.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Steve:

Apology accepted.

Actually, what made the initial post in particularly poor taste (to me) was the 40 or 50 lines of testimonials in a first-time post.

It seems pretty clear that you're a guy with a reasonable amount of gravitas in the KB world, and just posting the announcement alone would have acceptable (a bit unusual, but not offensive) and probably would have produced an outpouring of testimonials from the list members who know you (as it already has).

I laughed a little when I saw your apology above, because one of the reactions I had to your initial announcement was that must have been to one of Matt Furey's marketing seminars, and taken the "Thick Face, Black Heart" philosophy entirely too seriously.

As for the "scorn and contempt" I feel for spammers, well, I haven't changed my mind about them . . . but you have removed yourself from their miserable society.

Note to all: Steve also apologized personally via e-mail, a step that certainly wasn't necessary but does show a lot of class, and moves him up a lot in my estimation.

I hope the seminar goes well.

Dave
Old 11-07-2003, 03:16 AM   #8
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Guys, Steve is definitely the real deal and hopefully he won't be scared away from contributing here in the future. I have seen Steve in action and he is one of the most physically impressive people I have ever met. He is a world class martial artist, a strong lifter and the world's foremost authority (in my and many other people's opinions) on one-legged squatting. I don't know of anyone else that can do 80 reps straight.
It was not the best introduction, but let me say, Steve is a stand-up guy. Give him a chance and he will seriously impress you.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #9
Mike Mahler

Profile:  
Steve is definitely a classy guy and certainly did not mean any harm. We all make mistakes so cut the guy some slack and read his articles. Learn from this incredible athlete who reminds me of Neo in the matrix(Yes he is that talented)

Mike Mahler
www.mikemahler.com