CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-05-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
F Auld

Profile:  
Due to the nature of my job, I need everything Crossfit delivers (strength, power, anaerobic conditioning and body awareness) combined with the aerobic endurance required for half-marathon distances (approx 21km, roughly 13 miles in 90 min). With 2 workouts a day (1 x Crossfit, 1 x endurance), will there be a detrimental effect on either of the "types" (Crossfit & endurance) of fitness I want to work on?

Any assistance and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
F,

If you want the best results for ALL AROUND fitness, then I seriously doubt you will find a program comparable to crossfit. If you like running half-marathons, then that's fine, but you should realize that if your 1x/day endurance workouts are lengthy then you will be cutting into some of the other areas of fitness you indicate you want to develop (i.e. strength and power). Check out June's Crossfit Journal for details on some of the detrimental effects of extended aerobic training and how anaerobic training, especially when done in intervals, not only avoids those negative effects, but can substantially develop aerobic capacity as well.

I hope this was helpful.

Ryan
Old 07-05-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi F,

I take part in Triathlons and I had a similar question to yours a couple of weeks ago. Basically I do the WOD in the morning followed by my edurance type training at night. The cycle off 3 on, one off suits me fine as I can fit my swim, bike and run into each day and then have a rest day. I found the WOD gives me the extra edge in racing. Just like to thank the guys who gave me the advice as I finished 45th out 260 (top 5 in my age group) at my first triathlon.

Cheers Matt Cullen
Old 07-05-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Jeez . . . I want to know what Mr. Auld does for a job the requires all that (i.e., CrossFit strength, power, anaerobics AND half-marathon type endurace).

There are times when I really appreciate my desk job . . .

Dave
Old 07-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
John Hackleman

Profile:
How many times do you guys use Anaerobic, Aerobic, and strength workouts in any given week?
Old 07-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi John,

No I am not up on sport science but I have a general idea.
Usually the WOD takes care of Strength, anaerobic and aerobic etc in one session for me, but if it is usaully hard WOD session I lay of a bit on the endurance type training at night time. Or if it is strength based WOD session I would maybe put some interval type stuff in my session at night time. This seems to work for me but I always make sure I have my rest days. Sometimes I really push it on th WOD and thats me done for the day.

Hope this Help Matt Cullen.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:24 PM   #7
John Hackleman

Profile:
what is WOD?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
John Hackleman

Profile:
Workout of the Day?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Yes, sir.

WOD = Workout Of (the) Day.

(I always address people who appear to be capable of separating my head and shoulders, probably one-handed while casually drinking coffe in the other, as "Sir". :happy: )

The best way(s) to get an idea about the CrossFit program are:

(1) Read the "What is CrossFit?" and "Get Stated" sections of the CrossFit web site (links on left side of main page)

(2) Subscribe to the CrossFit journal, and take advantage of the available offer of a free trial issue "What is fitness" (links on the "Get Started" page, and the "CrossFit Journal" page). That article will explain the CrossFit approach to training better than a dozen e-mails could.

(3) Follow along on the WOD for a couple of weeks at whatever level you can (based on the photo you post, that might be a very high level, indeed . . . or it might not, if you've neglected your anaerobic training).

Old 07-06-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
John Hackleman

Profile:
Thank you...*bow*