CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Wim Lokate

Profile:
A few years ago I started to train the WOD's from Crossfit to supplement my martial arts training.

After a while I saw another routine for building up strength for martial arts. So I stopped the WOD's and started with that routine.
After awhile a saw a better routine and started that.
But now I know I miss the WOD's because with the other routines it was always the same.
Every time the same workout, sometimes the weights were so heavy that I dont had any energy left for my martial arts training so I skipped these and just did the weighttraining.

I know that most off the WOD's take not that long.
I can do these before I go to work and then in the evening do my martial arts training.

But I dont know if I get a lot stronger and musculair from the WOD's because I want to get stronger but I want to get more musculair to.
Sometimes I read the post off the WOD's and then I read that people do not only the WOD's but do other exercises to in that same WOD.
Is that necassary?

And what if I want to train on the rest days. I have read that you can do then a sort of powerlifting training to get realy strong.

Are there any martial artist on this forum who can speak off their experience.
I mean, do you get stronger, get more endurance, get more musculair and still have enough energy for martial arts training (wich is heavy to)?
And whay about the rest day, are there martial artist outthere who do other strength exercises on these days (or running etc)?

By the way, I am 46 years, male and practice martial arts since the age off 15.

I just want to get in very good shape, off course lokking good but most off all I want it to be a great part off my supplement training for my martial arts.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Bottom of the message board....CrossPit

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Thanks for the link Skip Chase.
Answers a lott off questions but not all :-))
Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Adam Morden

Profile:
Hi Wim,

you state that one of your goals is to gain muscle mass along with strength and endurance. That being the case I would suggest that crossfit WOD's are one of the most effective ways to add size along with functional strength without tiring you out too much to train. Coach wrote that the most effective to least effective methods of muscular hypertrophy are:
1) Body Building with Steroids
2) Crossfit with Steroids
3) Crossfit without steroids
4) BodyBuilding without steroids

I train BJJ and Muay Thai about 5-6 times per week at ~ 2hrs a session and I have not found that the WOD's are too much in combination as long as I dont try to do a WOD directly before or after training and get enough sleep.

I add the CF warmup to most WOD's and sometimes add some gymnastics practice (rings, paralettes, etc).

hope this helps

Adam
Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Melvin Newman

Profile:
I am no expert but have train in MMA as well as continue to lift. I trained MMA one to two times a week and all my strength training was directed to help me in that sport by doing two fullbody workouts for rounds twice a week, One days workout reps were in the range of 15-30 (musclar endurance)and the other day was 6-12 (strength enduranc)to work on strength. I done two crossfit workouts a week one day by itself and the other on the day of MMA training. I hope this helps and if you have anymore ? newgrappler@peoplepc.com
Old 11-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Thanks guys.
Adam, what is exactly the CF warmup?
Is that the warm-up with sit-ups and pull-ups in it?
I am not that strong. I think in the CF warmup they say to do 2-3 sets off 10 pull-ups or something like that.
I cant do even 1 set off 10 pull-ups :-(
How can I solve that problem? Just tryiing to do these 2-3 sets or working-up to one set off 10 and when I can do that add a second set?

And do you do the CF warm-up every workout?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Wim Lokate

Profile:
I have posted this same question on the starting board but I think its better to put in here because there are a lotts off martial artist on this board.

A few years ago I started to train the WOD's from Crossfit to supplement my martial arts training.

After a while I saw another routine for building up strength for martial arts. So I stopped the WOD's and started with that routine.
After awhile a saw a better routine and started that.
But now I know I miss the WOD's because with the other routines it was always the same.
Every time the same workout, sometimes the weights were so heavy that I dont had any energy left for my martial arts training so I skipped these and just did the weighttraining.

I know that most off the WOD's take not that long.
I can do these before I go to work and then in the evening do my martial arts training.

But I dont know if I get a lot stronger and musculair from the WOD's because I want to get stronger but I want to get more musculair to.
Sometimes I read the post off the WOD's and then I read that people do not only the WOD's but do other exercises to in that same WOD.
Is that necassary?

And what if I want to train on the rest days. I have read that you can do then a sort of powerlifting training to get realy strong.

Are there any martial artist on this forum who can speak off their experience.
I mean, do you get stronger, get more endurance, get more musculair and still have enough energy for martial arts training (wich is heavy to)?
And whay about the rest day, are there martial artist outthere who do other strength exercises (deadlifts, squats and bench for example) on these days (or running etc)?

By the way, I am 46 years, male and practice martial arts since the age off 15.

I just want to get in very good shape, off course looking good but most off all I want it to be a great part off my supplement training for my martial arts.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Wim,
PLEASE don't cross-post. If you need a post moved, just ask.
thanks.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
Adam Morden

Profile:
Hi Wim,

Here is the CF warm up: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General7

I typically do the CF warm up every workout, but if I am really tired/sore or I have limited time I cut it out/shorten it to 1 round. Also if I know I'm going to have a big MA workout later in the day I usually tone down the warm u and focus on the WOD.

My suggestion for the pull ups is to do jumping pull ups. do as many as you can (and learn to kip, it makes a big difference) then start jumping to the up position and lowering yourself under control. its the eccentric muscle action (the negative or lowering portion) which will give you the gains in strength and muscular hypertrophy needed to perform more pull ups.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Lynne, sorry :-))
Adam thanks for the link and answer, realy helped me, espaccialy the tips for the pull-ups.
Take care