CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
Going to try to keep this short..

Born & Raised in NE Ohio (Canton to be exact), moved 4 years ago to SW Florida (Fort Myers/Cape Coral) because I couldn't stand the winters anymore. My house is small, my payments are high. My insurance, utilities, taxes, etc keep going through the roof meanwhile my pay is well below what I'd make anywhere else. I'm tired of struggling with making the mortgage each month, I'm tired of the old people, the tourism, the illegals, etc. I recently got engaged and I'm ready to get married, have kids, etc.

We're looking for suggestions on where to move. I want a bigger house (currently have 1400 sq ft, no basement, no attic, its 3 bedrooms and a great room). I'd like to have a real workout room, and a place to actually put things (a basement or attic), as well as rooms for the woman and I and future kid(s). I don't necessary have to "buy" a bigger house as I'm handy and could put on addition or whatever (or even build a new house if there was a trailer or something on it currently). I do want lots of land though. Our house is currently situated on 1/4 acre (80'x125'). I want as much land as I can reasonbly afford. At least a couple acres, five acres would be even better and 7-10 would be great!

I don't want to go farther north than Tennessee or North Carolina. I have no desire to be near a big city. I would like to live off of a quiet country road. I dont want to deal with hurricanes either.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I was kinda thinking TN or NC, but not sure which areas to look at (besides avoiding Nashville and other big cities).

Ideally, I'll sell my house and take around 50k profit to put down on another house. I'd like to keep the house/land less than $200k. I actually saw a couple listings that had a large amount of land (5-10 acres) and then a trailer or manufactured home on it. This would actually be pretty ideal as they were less than $100k and we could slowly build a new house on the property while living in the trailer. Again, I know nothing about the areas though besides looking at the city stats.

thanks!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Does what you do for a living put any restrictions on where you can live?

Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
If you made me move with these constraints, I would start looking near Asheville, NC. I need to be near some level of industry for work, and I prefer to be near some sort of rock climbing. Strike that, reverse it...need rock climbing, prefer industry.

Edit: Spelling

(Message edited by paul on March 12, 2007)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Michael Leach

Profile:
I've always been a computer guy because its easy and pays pretty well. However, seeing as how theres pretty much no IT jobs here, I worked as a secretary for 2 years before I landed my current computer job. My fiancee works as an assistant manager at a clothing store in the mall.

She's pretty burnt out of retail and would like to go back to school, but thats not feasible here financially. I'm pretty versatile, I've worked as a cable guy, phone guy, on site desktop tech, network administrator, customer service, retail, etc.

If I can get a nice house with a lot of land for less than $150k, I don't care if I have to take a pay cut or switch jobs or whatever.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Pick up this months issue of Men's Journal...has their yearly 50 best places to live...may give you ideas...ideally the more away from the city you are...the less your living expenses, esp in the south. I'm in Atl...not exactly cheap, but still reasonable...but head an hour of of town and you have cheaper living..and still close to the city if you need to be. Other great living areas in the mountainous areas in GA, TN, KY, SC....all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Jason McCain

Profile:
Mike,

I grew up right on the KY/TN border and now live in CO. I believe you could get everything you're asking for in Fort Collins, CO. Really the winters are very mild out here especially considering a OH winter. You could find a lot of good press about Fort Collins.

In TN I might suggest Johnson City, just outside of Knoxville. Mountains (not anything compared to the rockies but...) and a lake I believe.

Another spot may be Greenville, SC. I don't know anything about it other than I have heard it's a beautiful spot with a few jobs.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:
Full Disclosure: I chose Boulder >> Asheville :-) Being from NJ, I don't mind the weather here. One could argue the weather is too nice here. I like the rare grey rainy day, makes me remember "home", but not enough to be home sick, that would take a lot more.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Kevin Burns

Profile:
just moved to denver.

colorado is paradise.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Toyota recently announced they were building a manufacturing plant outside Tupelo, MS. (birth place of "The Kaang, baby") Not a glamor destination I know,but rolling farmland,cattle and timber in that part of the state. Tupelo is all level 5 schools. Might check for a Chamber of Commerce website. It will be some two years before they roll a vehicle out, but may be a ground floor opportunity. Food for thought. The actual plant site is in Shannon, MS.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Derek Simonds

Profile:
I can second Johnson City TN. My sister and family live there it has pretty much everything you described and more. It is a little colder than I like.

My first choice would have been where I live but you nixed all of FL because of hurricanes. I am over in Deland and there is a lot of land outside of the city that you can still by for a fair price.

I was in MS last week. I flew into Memphis and went south to the city right next door and I can;t remember the name but it is about 20 miles from where Toyota is building the new plant. I thought that the area looked real nice and land is definitely going to grow in value over the next couple of years as the new facilities come on line.

If you want some additonal information on Johnson City I can hook you up with my brother in law. BTW he does Cross Fit when he is healthy ;)