CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Greeting all, by the end of this month I'll have a fully functional micro gym in my ~500 ft^2 garage.

It's fully matted, has two 10' pullup bars (3/4" and 1 1/2"), two wall ball targets with 20# homemade balls, one pair of rings, 28" jump box, a 13' climbing rope, parallets, a homemade squat rack/bench/GHD combo, 4 olympic bars, schwinn air dyne, ~350# of iron, 4 puke buckets, >500# of bumpers on order, and a high end treadmill expected (I have been more nice than naughty).

My question is, with proper certification could this qualify as an affiliate, or is that designation reserved for a commercial venture.

Right now it's used exclusively by myself, my son, and a handful of teenage irregulars. However, it has recently come to my attention that there are more than a few crossfitters in the Cincinnati area (I'm just across the Ohio River in Ft Thomas KY). I'm in the process of making the space available to these folks, and anyone else passing through.

I have a great job, have no intention of trying to generate revenue from this, but would like to spread the word and grow it in an open source fashion if possible. Will this ever qualify me for Crossfit NKY designation, or am I stuck with "Mike's Garage Gym - Infidels Welcome"?

I did a search and this was the most informative thread I found:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/4680/4682.html

but it was geared specifically toward commercial ventures.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just get some T-shirts made?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Unfortunately, there is already a Mike's Gym" and it is not only legendary, but also a Mecca and holy shrine to O lifting and CrossFit, so that name will have to go.
Contact Lauren at Lauren@crossfit.com
I'm sure she will be able to help you. BTW- Brand X started out pretty much the way you are describing. :lol:
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Michael,

As Jeff said, contact Lauren.

Your set-up sounds exactly like an Affiliate gym.

Mike
Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Thanks all, have emailed Lauren and dropped any allusion to "Mike's Gym" from my cerebral cortex.

Don't waste any more time with this thread

ML
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Michael,

If you haven't already, you should check out issue #35 (July 2005) of the journal, which addresses both the CF affiliate model and the open-source philosophy of CF. Both well-written, interesting articles, imo.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

I am curious about this, too, and intend to head the same direction when I return home. I understood from either CFJ #35 or somewhere else that to "affiliate" one needed only to pay the affiliate fee ($300, I think) and could run it out of one's garage (not for profit). My question/concern (and understanding) was that in the for profit ventures, you need to be certified and that would require going to a cert seminar (like the one in February '06). I don't think I want to be a trainer (I have a great career that I enjoy) but I am seriously going to put together a nice home/backyard gym and would love to have other crossfitters over to do the WOD or just workout. Am I wrong on this?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Ahem. While scrolling through some past threads on this subject, I followed someone's link to an old thread from the summer. A person was asking similar questions to the ones above (and my own).
After reading it, I was a little nervous. The story had identity theft, IP address confirmation, and the bad guy being caught in the end (endings worthy of the best Colombo and Quincy episodes, IMO). However, I would just like to note, I am NOT/NOT the reincarnation of that person (nor do I suspect Michael above is). I am, however, hooked on CF and believe it is, to borrow someone else's line, the Fountain of Youth and I plan on building a serious CF-compliant gym at my house or cajoling my best friend (who runs his own dojo) into adding this to his and his students' training regimen. But I want to ensure I'm legit on this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Sean,

I have the info from Tony Budding at HQ. Will forward to your email acct.

You and I sound like we in very similar boats (but my gym is "finished" as of this weekend). I'm probably going to hold off on affiliate status for six months or so and try to get some critical mass going first. Frankly, the $500 annual fee is exactly how much we're saving by not renewing our YMCA membership and that was one of the key selling points I used to justify the equipment investment to my family.

Though the cost is pretty insignificant, I can't have it both ways y'know.

ML
Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Michael,
Thanks very much for the info you sent. I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet. I replied to your question with the link you asked about. Appreciate it much.

Sean
Old 12-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Michael,

If possible can you forward that information to me as well? Thank you.