CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Aaron Dutton

Profile:
Set a new personal record (PR) in the front squat this morning!

I had previously maxed triples at 185 lbs. (I'm 210 lbs, 6'1") Last time I maxed I knew I could go a little harder but I wanted to keep some in reserve for later. Today I did triples up to 185 and then singles at 195, 205, 225, and 235. I feel like I still had a little extra. I'll save that for another day. It was cool to do a bodyweight front squat (ATG).

I was curious about the front squat. My back squat 1RM is about 285 lbs currently (ATG). While I was front squatting 235, I didn't really feel it in my legs at all--I felt like I was going up some stairs. My upper back seemed to be getting the most work, from squeezing together to keep the bar in the right position. I can already tell it is going to be sore tomorrow.

I guess I'm wondering if others have a similar experience with the front squat.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
The front squat will target the quads more (closer to your knees) - so I suppose it would feel like climbing stairs. As far as your back, I'm assuming you're referring to your upper back feeling the work of trying to maintain your upright position, that sounds right, too.