CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Arthur Chambers

Profile:
I do Mixed martial arts training. I focus Alot on grappling. I train usually 3-4 four times per week. It has been extremely difficult and sometimes immpossible to complete the 6 weekly wods. I have suffered symtoms of overtraining in the past from doing that. How can I work crossfit into my sport?? Thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
There is a saying around here: "There is no such thing as 'overtraining' just under recovery". This may or may not be taken literally, but I can give a few pointers from a MMA perspective.

Being able to do the 3 on 1 off in addition to your Sport Specific Training (SST) depends on your level of fitness, as well as the demands of your sport. The more your body gets used to the 'randomness' of CrossFit, the better you will be at handling recovery intervals.

For most beginners, it is reccomended that you do only one workout per day (in your case MMA or CF, not both).

Then, experiment with doing both in the same day, but at least 3 - 4 hours apart (if scheduling permits).

After a while (sometimes years)you will be able to both workouts within a short amount of time, without little to no overtraining side effects.

Other factors that will help you reach this goal are getting enough sleep, diet (see: Zone, Paleo), drinking enough water, and actively doing things to relax (massage, contrast showers, stretching, 'chill' time).

While you are working on that, you can combine your MMA drills with the workouts by sustituting parts or all of the movements for sport specific stuff. 400m runs become 2 minutes on the heavy bag. Burpees become sprawls. Thrusters become kickboxing combinations, etc. Now you are doing CF and MMA in the same workout:evilsmile:

(Message edited by jjones on August 17, 2006)
Old 08-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Arthur Chambers

Profile:
I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I have a friend of mine who is an exercise physiologist and he prety much said the same thing. Maybe I can work out a 3-3 split between the workouts. 3days mma and 3 days crossfitting. Truth is I fell outa shape I had 2 back to back surgeries and spent alot of time on the couch for 6 months. I have been making huge progress since adding CF to my regimine. I am kinda disappointed to have to cut them both short though I love both CF and MMA. What do you think about cutting the WOD in half and doing both? Justa thought.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Arthur, depends on why your doing both. What are your goals. Ramp up slowly, especially after a long layoff. 50% volume is a good idea...when you start to feel more energetic...throw some full workouts in. For max lift days, I would keep the full workout, not as metabolically active. At some level this (and MMA training) should be FUN. When it ceases to be fun, your not doing something right!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
:yeahthat:

Listen to your body closely. Better yet keep a log for workouts and food, but don't forget to write down your injuries, nagging pains, etc. Keep track of them an if they are getting worse or better.

One of the biggest factors of 'under recovery' is injuries that won't go away / get worse.