CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-25-2004, 04:37 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
My CF gym is coming along quite nicely and I promise to post some photos soon. So far I've built, located and bought the following:

1. Wall-ball board
2. Pullup station
3. Kettler Marathon XL treadmill (up to 20kmh speed)
4. Concept 2 rower (damn I didn't know it was this pricey!)
5. Eleiko training set (200kgs)
6. Rings (plastic)
7. Rope
8. Dynamax medicine balls
9. Ringside heavy bag
10. jump Rope
11. Gravity boots

Now, I need to locate and buy the following:

1. Squat Rack
2. Bench Rack
3. Glute-Ham developer
4. Paralettes (people don't even know them over here)
5. Kettlebells (I might as well forget about this one-ultra exotic stuff around here):sad:
6. Ab-bench (Although I'm still not convinced I need one)
7. Dumbells sets

Now, any advice with regard to the stuff listed above? How much should I pay for the Squat and Bench Racks approximately? How much for the dumbells? I'm thinking 4 pairs from 24lbs-->57lbs...

Any omissions on my list BTW?

I'm so excited about getting everything in and starting my first workouts!! Oh, I forgot to mention the crucible of my gym...

An Apple 40GB iPod hooked to a PC surround system (w/ subwoofer)!!! That'll give me all the fuel I need!:biggrin:
Old 05-25-2004, 05:06 AM   #2
will schrenk

Profile:

Sounds fantastic!

Are you planning to include dipping bars or plyometrics / step boxes?

Enjoy it and please post photos!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

Alex, this sounds like a fantastic setup. I know USA sources are not the best for you but just to put things in perspective...

1. Squat Rack
These are easy to find, but the gold standard has to be Ironmind's Vulcan rack, with a set of spotter racks and dip handles. You can use it for bench presses too. I guess shipping will probably be prohibitive, but this is the best (and the most expensive) I've seen.

A plain power rack is a great value. FitnessCentralInc.com makes a $309 high quality, made in USA power rack that you just can't beat.

2. Bench Rack
I'd use the squat rack or power cage and a plain, sturdy flat bench. I really don't like adjustable benches because they all wobble. I'd much rather use a block under one end for inclines / declines.

4. Paralettes - I would certainly build these out of pipe!

5. Kettlebells - I'd definitley get a plate-loaded handle like the KBOV from PDA. I have one and love it. I bought a 110# 1" barbell/dumbell set locally to go with it, just for the plates, but of course I use the barbell and dumbbells now too.

6. Ab-bench - Personally I'd skip this.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
An Apple 40GB iPod hooked to a PC surround system (w/ subwoofer)!!! That'll give me all the fuel I need!

..tell me more about this part.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Hey guys!

A plyo box completely escaped my mind!-Thanks a bunch Will!

A dipping station...That's something that's troubling me. You see space isn't abundant so my options are to either weld something in my pullup station (which has vertical supporting bars that go all the way down to the ground and could support two horizontal ones sticking out of the middle for dips) OR

to just do dips on the rings-which I'm not sure is the same (never owned rings).

Brian, I'll look into those sources. Thanks a ton for your advice!

Michael,

What is it that intrigues you?:wink:

Tha iPod itseld is-well-just an iPod! The speakers will be something along the lines of Cambridge soundworks-4 speakers and one subwoofer-amplifier.

Now if it its the actual playlists you're interested in I'll be sure to post some here! (Check old music threads in this section to see if my taste in general suits your workout needs!):happy:
Old 05-27-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I'll second the Vulcan squat racks from IronMind. (Or the squat racks from Bradshaw Welding which is what I have. They're about the same.)