CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #121
Rob McBee

Profile:
Good luck with the surgery Anthony and a speedy recovery. Enjoying the journal, very inspiring.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #122
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thursday, March 23, 2006

Anthony (BW=180)
Crossfit WOD 060323 "Helen"
400m Run
21 DB Swings, 55lbs
12 Chinups
3 Rounds for time
Notes: subbed rowing
Time: 12:07

Came home for a quick shower and nitrean shake....then went to mma

MMA @ Kingswood (2 hours)
Warmup

Takedown defense

Setup take down or thai clinch with jab

Setup take down or thai clinch with jab + leg kick

Setup take down or thai clinch with inside leg kick (stings like a mofo)

Spar
Me (180) VS Chris (202lbs, top University Wrestler): dude is strong and moves like a python. I was definitely outclassed. We fought for position, but things happened so fast I don't remember everything. I know he rolled me from mount, I took half guard, then full guard, then I rolled him, he rolled me, but I caught him in a guillotine, SO CLOSE to sinking it, but he muscled out. I don't think I had enough leverage, plus his neck is about as thick as my waist. After that, I tried to roll him and he caught an arm, went for a key lock and as I was trying to roll out, my elbow made a pop sound that scared the **** out of everyone except me. I didn't feel a thing, I think it was just air or something. Anyway, we stopped it there, which was cool with me - I lost a contact and took a knee directly to the boys. Found the contact and there's no blood in my ****, so that's good news. I know I have a lot to improve, but I think I held my own against a big strong mofo, so that was encouraging.

Jodi (BW=110)
Crossfit WOD 060323 "Helen"
400m Run
21 DB Swings, 55lbs
12 Chinups
3 Rounds for time
Notes: subbed 25lbs dumbbell
Time: 15:29

Overall
Helen was a lot of fun, but I wasn't feeling good after work. Took a little long to recover after the 3 rounds, but felt great when I finally did. I'll do the WOD tomorrow, maybe some 5x5, depends how I feel. MMA on Saturday, and then WOD on Sunday. I think I'll take it easy on the sandbag work since my tendon is starting to feel better and I don't want to mess it up.

Great turnout at kingswood again and Chris is back from vacation. Which means he brought the infamous pink rookie shirt. Yeah. Guess who got stuck wearing it. Oh well, all in fun. The drills so far have been good. A lot of attention to detail and most of them are basic things that I would do as instinct. A few minor changes with hand placement or foot placement, but overall I found the groove real fast. I'm quite happy to be training with these guys.

Feedback
Rob: thank you!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #123
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
Hey guys, love reading the post about training. I do the same thing, WOD then Jiu-jitsu, about 2 techs for about 1 hour.Always switch it up, one escape to a submission.Getting ready to do the U.S. Nationals in N.J. may 13th. training hard, eating as good as i can because i am in afghanistan.keep up the hard work boys and see you on the mat.Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #124
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thanks Michael! I wish you luck on May 13th. I was supposed to enter a grappling tournament (both gi and non-gi) on the same day, but I think I'll be sidelined due to surgery. And just to clarify, Jodi is my girlfriend! Call her a boy and she may kick both our asses! :biggrin:
Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #125
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
Roger that Anthony,Thanks alot and i hope you recover soon.

Shoot low..they could be crawling.Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #126
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Friday, March 24, 2006

5x5
Squats
45x20
45x10
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5

Bench Press
45x15
45x10
45x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5

Overall
I kept the squats light because of my calf/foot, still not 100%. Bench felt fine, but Hello Tendonitis!! Arms were screaming after this, so I called it a day. Rest, ice, and ibuprofen tonight. Hopefully I'm good for mma tomorrow.

Jodi hit a PR of 125x5 on squats, so she'll be hitting a plate per side pretty soon!

Feedback
Michael: thank you!

(Message edited by anthonyb on March 24, 2006)
Old 03-25-2006, 07:00 AM   #127
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
Hey guys and gals, i think you know who i am talking too,LOL. tonights MMA workout.5 rounds
95lbs hangcleans to frontsquat to push pressX10
pull upsX5
push upsX20
turkish get ups X10
Jiu- jitsu training
takedowns to andaconda choke
takedown to guard to passing same
Takedown to guard to passing to mount to submission.
God help us all.Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #128
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
Hey Jodi, great job on the PR for the squats. I was a big squater in my time. 165lb weight class 630lb full squat.knees feel it today.Keep training hard and listen to anthony,LOL. Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #129
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Saturday, March 25, 2006

MMA at Kingswood (4pm to 6:15pm)
Warmup

Striking Drills
- punching + leg kick
- punching + front kick
- punching + elbow
- leg kick + elbow (defender blocks kick with shin and elbow with forearm/hand)
- thai clinch + front knees + knee to thigh + knee to ribs + knee to inside thigh (defender blocks knees with arms/hand)

Take Down Drills
- parry jab, shoot into position, but stop short of pop for takedown
- parry jab, shoot into position, pop up and drive without using hands
- parry jab, shoot into position, pop up and drive with hands, turn their body, slam
- leg kick, elbow to head, should be in side position, double leg and drive, sweep legs to side and land in side mount after slam
- break thai clinch, shoot into position, pop up and drive

I might have missed some stuff ... but you get the idea.

Sparring
Me (BW=180) VS Miller (BW=160ish, boxer): I got a takedown, took mount, went for choke, nothing there, went for arm bar, nothing there, took a high mount and rained bombs. Defended against a couple of bucks, continued to rain bombs and forearms.

Me (BW=180) VS Chris (BW=202, wrestler / submissions): botched takedown ended in scramble, he took my back, I defended well against rnc (thank you thick neck!) but had to scramble to get into a better position. I probably would have taken some bad shots during this transition. I got into half guard, flipped over to half mount, took side, but he shot out and some how took my arm?? I had a lot of trouble using my arms because after two hours of drills my tendonitis was on fire. As soon as he was in position for the bar, I tapped.

Me (BW=180) VS Matt (BW=170ish?, boxer / submissions): reversed his take down, but landed in guard. Got half mount, landed some shots, but he swept me. Good control from half guard, was able to tie him up so he couldn't strike, but he managed to pass my guard and grab an arm, went for key lock on the same arm that popped Thursday, so I tapped before it was fully locked.

Overall
Great class. I really like the clinch and think I could do some damage on someone who was within 3-4" of my height. My height would be even better. I have really good control with my forearms and good aim with the knees. I'm not much of a boxer, but some good old dirty boxing seems to work for me.

I'm not overly fond that I gave up two arm bars in a row, but I'm happy to be training with people good enough to catch me in them. I do think my arm defense would have been better if I didn't feel like they were being seared with hot coals, but I probably would have lost at some point anyway. lol. Either way, this is awesome training for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #130
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Monday, March 27, 2006

5x5
Bike 4 minutes @ 15kmh

Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
225x5
315x5
365x5
405x5

Headstand / Handstand Practice ~10 minutes

Overall
Ever do deadlifts with a sprained foot/calf? Not fun! But I made it through without aggrevating anything. I practised headstands and handstands (no pressing) while Jodi did push press ... she cranked out an impressive 75x5 for a PR.

MMA was cancelled because Matt and Chris were called into work early. My tendons are extremely happy about that.

I'm going to eat, watch Sopranos, eat, and get to bed early. It will be a sweet night for sure.