CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Charles Applin

Profile:
Have CrossFit ever posted a Military PFT (or PRT or whatever they call it in the Air Force) as a WOD and compare times to the military's standard (like a link to the scoring page)?

Seems like today, with a 5k run, you could add Max static pull-ups and Max sit-ups in 2 minutes and easily have the USMC pft. Granted, your easier Navy PRT (Max push-ups in 2 minutes, Max "crunches" in 2 minutes, 1.5 mile run) would be fairly easy and need something tied on at the end.

Just wondering, as I don't doubt many who've done crossfit for a decent length of time would excel at the these.

For those in the military, you treat the day you have to do a PRT or PFT as the WOD?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
That's a great idea. I've often thought about making the USMC PFT a WOD, though I nver yet followed through on it...
Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
John Hoffner

Profile:
A PFT is a great sub for the WOD in my book. I usually take 2-3 days off before a PFT so I cannot use any the previous WODs as excuses for my poor performance on PFT day. As to comparing it to other service's PFT, or PFA or what-ev, don't allow yourself the crutch of thinking they're any easier. We have plenty of Marines in the Corps who score a perfect scoore, 300, but vie to 'score' higher: faster than 18 minute 3 mile run, more than 20 deadhang pull ups, more than 100 sit ups in 2 minutes. A lot of commands call the competition between those stellar performers 'ironman' competitions. The Navy's "easy" PFA can be made very difficult based on the individuals output: there's no reason to stop where their maximum point value ends, just make yourself an ironman at the Navy, Army, USMC or Air Force test.
I don't even want to get into the argument of which service fitness test standards are harder (haven't we settled the inter-service rivalry issue before on these boards?), I just mean to comment on the value of a PFT as the WOD and that effort, not service guidelines, dictate how effective they are as a WOD.

(Message edited by phillymarine on September 18, 2006)