CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
Jason Halm

Profile:
Re: competing for the cf games without doing crossfit?

Because, does anyone actually honestly think randomized is the best, especially once you get to respectable levels?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halm View Post
Because, does anyone actually honestly think randomized is the best, especially once you get to respectable levels?
If you read some people's posts on here over the last few months, you'd think it is.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
This depends on your interpretation of CrossFit.
Doesn't everything
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Jason Halm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you read some people's posts on here over the last few months, you'd think it is.
Smh. Not to hijack the thread, but on the 70's big facebook page there was a solid thread where we were making fun of crossfit. Pretty awesome.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Oh yeah, I've seen some of those threads, and I'm not arguing that there are plenty of valid reasons to make fun of CF at times.

However, I can also say the same thing about my home state, or my college, or the Marine Corps. It doesn't mean I hate them or resent them by any means...it just means I'm able to recognize quality humor and satire and am still able to laugh at myself.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Jason Halm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Oh yeah, I've seen some of those threads, and I'm not arguing that there are plenty of valid reasons to make fun of CF at times.

However, I can also say the same thing about my home state, or my college, or the Marine Corps. It doesn't mean I hate them or resent them by any means...it just means I'm able to recognize quality humor and satire and am still able to laugh at myself.
Yeah. Again, not to hijack the thread, but crossfit is at times great--combining no nonsense strength training and extremely difficult conditioning is a recipe for success. But at SOME places and with SOME people, the lack of thought that goes into programming is...amazing.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: competing for the cf games without doing CrossFit?

It should be no mystery.

Do the 6 Open WODs and see if you could have qualified for Regionals. If you couldn't what prevented it? Will the programing in question build that capacity? If it will then it could work. If it won't then it won't work.

One of the very good points about CrossFit is the idea of evidenced based fitness.

Form a hypothesis, test and track your results. See if you can disprove your hypothesis. If you can disprove it then you know it won't work. If you can not disprove it then it might work.

I will say it appears 800m track athletes have the right mix of anaerobic and aerobic capacity to do very well in met-cons. So if your going to do track workouts find out how the 800m runners train and mimic it.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #18
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halm View Post

Ive seen videos of Rich, Ben and Graham who while i wouldnt call it completely random, listen to their body and from there just go hmm this one looks good ill try that.... sounds fairly random to me? and they are at more than respectable levels...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
is it possible to be a contender in the cf games without actually following a randomized cf like program?
I would say if you want to be a top competitor yo don't want to follow a randomized program.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #20
Adam Rosner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
And you think switching from the program that he was doing to following CF would have changed the fact that he got edged out of first place on an O Lift workout? I doubt it. I don't take the fact that he won a close second in the games as proof that the way he trained was insufficient.

Yes I think you could compete for the games title without following CF (I mean if we want to get technical a lot of the top people don't really follow CF), however you would eventually have to practice CF style metcons and build up to an immensely high work load to have a chance.
Hire this man!