CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Jason Halm

Profile:
Re: Try this Strength + CrossFit Programming... Starting on August 5th

There's a solid chance that I'll hop on board. Right now, I'm on my third cycle of 5/3/1 and lovin' it.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
Roberto Catanzaro

Profile:

Kane

i'm very interested in the kind of schedule that you did apply for the case of the experienced marathoner.
How would a typical week look like including running workouts?
i've seen on her blog that she used a modified version of CFE...

thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
Pearse Shields

Profile:

This programme intrigues me... Is there a way for me to jump on the bandwagon? I'm in a general strength and conditioning phase at the moment, and this looks cool.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Kane Greene

Profile:

Just make sure you guys do find your max weighted pull up, max press, and max snatch sometime between now and the 5th. And make sure you do the CFFB total on the 5th.

Roberto,

To be honest I really have no idea what her running schedule was like. I just know that she cut down to about half of her normal mileage for training. She was at the gym

M, T, Th, F

She would do strength + workout of the day. I really had nothing to do with how she ran. I know the longer she did CrossFit the more the she was interested in CrossFit endurance. Initially when I mentioned CFE she had absolutely NO interest because it was a disservice to take way her miles. This girl really really likes to run. In the winter she would do 20 miler's on the treadmill.

She moved back with family a few months ago when her husband deployed. I do know she started at an affiliate there immediately after moving.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
David Meverden

Profile:

Thanks for the info, Kane. Sounds like this has been working quite well all around! I'm going to be doing Grayskull's barbell plan for a bit but once I shift a focus back to conditioning I'll be looking for a new program. There is a damn good chance it will have conjugate elements. I'll keep your program in mind for that time.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
Jason Halm

Profile:

Would we have to program our own strength portion or will you post the exact lifts and such on the site?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
Andy Gann

Profile:

For the record, I'm gonna jump on this as well. Because I work out on S, Tue, thur/Fri right now ( on GSLP) I'm going to be 6 days behing the workouts and will do them on Sun, Mon ... Wed, Thur ... and then longer day on Friday.

Over the last 6 months on Greyskull I have made some great strength gains. I've done so without adding any fat to my belly but my conditioning is in the toilet .... Honestly, my goals here are about 1/2 aesthetics and 1/2 performance. I'd like to keep my strength, shed some weight, and increase my speed/stamina/endurance...

Can't wait to get started .. already maxed on the press and the squat the other day (175#, 425#) and will hit the weighted pull up and the CFFB total soon ...
Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Over the last 6 months on Greyskull I have made some great strength gains. I've done so without adding any fat to my belly but my conditioning is in the toilet .... Honestly, my goals here are about 1/2 aesthetics and 1/2 performance. I'd like to keep my strength, shed some weight, and increase my speed/stamina/endurance...

Can't wait to get started .. already maxed on the press and the squat the other day (175#, 425#) and will hit the weighted pull up and the CFFB total soon ...
What were your gains like on GSLP?

I think switching to conjugate your maxes will shoot up quickly just because your body will adapt to maxing, rather than doing sub max weights for reps. So you definitely shouldn't have to worry about keeping your strength.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Kane Greene

Profile:

Jason--

No you wouldn't have to program your own strength portion, that will be covered.

Andy--

Glad to have you on board. Hopefully this helps you find what you're looking for.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
What were your gains like on GSLP?

I think switching to conjugate your maxes will shoot up quickly just because your body will adapt to maxing, rather than doing sub max weights for reps. So you definitely shouldn't have to worry about keeping your strength.
I'll post my beginning and ending sets ... I didn't begin GSLP at the top end of what I could do (last year I did SS for 3 months and got really fat) and these numbers are at about 85% of where I was then ....

Press:
110# (5,5,7) -> 152.5# (5,5,5)

Bench:
160# (5,5,13) -> 215# (5,5,9)

Squat:
215# (5,5,11) -> 340# (5,5,7)

Deads:
315# (8) -> 410# (5)

I put on about 10 lbs (i think I'm 240# right now) but am wearing the same pants/shorts (38w). I have to get XL shirts instead of L now though b/c my chest,neck, biceps are bigger.

I guess, I'd like to keep my strength but drop fat/weight and get down to some 36 in pants (although I'm not sure my thighs and azz would fit in them even if my waist would!!!) ... I guess I just think it's time to switch things up. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm getting into here ... I've seen the threads for conjugate but haven't read the article.

Can you give me the cliff notes?