CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
Brent Eno

Profile:
Re: Ring rows as a sub for kipping PU

"Similarly, it could be that the OP has a setup like my home setup: a doorway pullup bar, suitable for strict pullups or low ring work (enough for ring rows/ring dips) but not nearly stable enough for serious kipping.

Finding a decent substitute is a reasonable quest. Kipping pullups are doubtless a great workout, but they're not universally available."

There could be a limiting factor(but if there isn't, he should learn to kip. it just takes a little practice), and I agree that he should find a sub. I was simply offering a change that would require no additional training and would match the impact that Fran has on the body(especially the lungs. I cough for hours after doing this).

Kevin- maybe use a thin band? I don't know how strong you are, but doing strict pullups will probably lead to muscle failure fairly quickly. Fran is supposed to be a sprint. The longer it takes to do the pullups, the longer the workout. Longer workout=less power output. Using a thin band will allow you to do more unbroken pullups each round, giving you a faster time and preserving the training stimulus.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Maybe he could do jumping pull-ups?

I gotta admit over 2 years ago when I first tried Fran, I did inverted rows, my feet on the floor, and bar set at a height that when I grabbed it my upper back was just above the floor. It was still pretty hard.

I don't know if it's just me or others are like this, but for me, the inverted rows done with my feet on a chair (so they're closer to the height of my hands) are really difficult. I can probably do less of these (touching lower chest to bar) than strict pull-ups, although only by a couple of reps or so. Maybe I'm just extremely weak at horizontal pulling?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Cut the number in half and just do strict pull ups.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
That sounds pretty reasonable. Similar muscles involved, similar ROM (well, sort of). It's still nowhere near 1:1 though. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow, but I'd bet it is more like 3:1 (eg 3 ring rows = 1 pu)
I think you may be surprised. Full ROM bodyweight rows with your feet at hand level are quite difficult. Some guys find them harder than deadhangs, which means the ratio for some people is going to be LESS than 1:1.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
My interest is piqued.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'd say a third at least. I can easily (maybe that's the wrong word?) do 3x as many kipping PU's as SDHPU. The actual limiter on kipping are my hands, whereas the limiter for SDHPU are muscle failure.

I've found band assisted DHPU's to be harder than kipping. It's why I don't like kipping as an exercise, if you are coordinated enough, kipping is nothing more than a test of grip strength and pain endurance (as the skin on your hands get shredded).
Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
That sounds pretty reasonable. Similar muscles involved, similar ROM (well, sort of). It's still nowhere near 1:1 though. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow, but I'd bet it is more like 3:1 (eg 3 ring rows = 1 pu)
It's closer to somewhere between 2:1 and 1.5:1 ... for me eat least
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
It's closer to somewhere between 2:1 and 1.5:1 ... for me eat least
After having done them today (feet elevated, full ROM) I am going to agree with you. They were slightly more difficult than I remembered -- still nowhere near the difficulty of 1:1, but definitely harder than 3:1. I would say that they are probably a good way to work up to SDHPUs, and probably not bad as a sub for kipping (though kipping involves coordinated movement that can't be learned any other way than by practicing the kip).