CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Zack Lewis

Profile:
Pull Up Help!!!!!

Hey guys, I need help with some pull up action, I have been crossfiting for about 3 months solid now but pullups are BAD!!!!! I need some getting there, any help would be GREAT!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Pull Up Help!!!!!

Search function please. Try gtg
Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Darla Powell

Profile:

What kind of pull ups? Negatives help me build strength.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
What kind of pull ups? Negatives help me build strength.
FAQ 3.7
Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Pull ups help pull ups.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I am terrible at pullups too. Unfortunately, the only solution is to do lots of them. Google the Armstrong Pullup Program or Recon Ron and follow the steps. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
I am terrible at pullups too. Unfortunately, the only solution is to do lots of them. Google the Armstrong Pullup Program or Recon Ron and follow the steps. Good luck.
Fa sho fa sho.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Also consider treating them like a strength movement. Grease the groove helped me get my chin over the bar, unassisted, for the first time (I put an iron gym in my bathroom doorframe and jumped up a few times whenever I went to the bathroom or whatever). Now, at my affiliate, we do weighted pullup day once every week. It has really been helping my deadhangs and my kipping strength as well.

If you can't do weighted unassisted pullups, use an assistance band. If you're stuck between assistance bands or the lightest band and no assistance at all, try doing weighted band assisted pullups (it gives you a middle ground).
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
Victor Putz

Profile:

There are a lot of pullup programs out there (recon ron, armstrong, twentypullups.com, etc). The one I used was a Pavel thing, but I used it just because it was easy to program without looking up tables, and seemed to be working pretty well.

Basically, five day cycle, five sets each day, and you add one pullup each day, starting from the end. So one week it would go

5-4-3-2-1
5-4-3-2-2
5-4-3-3-2
5-4-4-3-2
5-5-4-3-1

And you start the next week with 6-5-4-3-2. Easy to remember, easy to work on, slow but steady progression. It's moderate volume, but unfortunately still enough to cause me a little inner-elbow attachment pain after a few weeks, so I'm taking some time off. It was working better than anything else I'd tried, though.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Tom Kiczula

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Pull Up Help!!!!!

Fellow Pull Up Strugglers,

I learned this great tip from SpecOps trainer Mark Lauren's book, You Are Your Own Gym. Lauren writes:

"Can't do a Pull Up yet? Use a surface, such as a chair, to put your feet on behind you, with knees bent, so you can use your legs to assist yourself throughout the movement. After you've done this for a while, or if this is too easy, try jumping to the top of the Pull Up position and concentrate on the negative movement by lowering yourself slowly in a controlled manner. Keep at it until you build enough strength to pull yourself up without assistance."

I've been doing this for about a week now and my Pull Up ability is drastically increasing. Also, I'm loving this book. It's got the best tips and tricks for bodyweight exercises and even provides great exercise routines. You all should definitely check it out, and good luck with the Pull Ups. I hope this helps!