CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #31
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Re: Those Who are Doing Crossfit from Home

I actually love having a home gym. I have waaay fewer excuses to skip workouts. Before, it was such a hassle to change my clothes, go to a gym that was open, and then wait for the equipment I want while some guys bs about the last UFC fight or whatever.

I have started incorporating the wife and kids in the workouts, if possible, so it is a family activity. Also, I figure investing in healthy choices like a versatile home gym is really an investment in my health.

And don't even get me started about trainers at the globo gym....Like the guy who told me to stop at every fast food place I drove past all day and eat a meal to gain weight. Or the guy who just forgot to show up at scheduled workouts. How about the guy who just trained me into the ground so I couldn't walk for days? Or the guy who told me to eat a carton of ice cream every night before bed to improve my nutricion. I swear I'm not making this up.

Plus, at one point (when the economy was better) I was paying between $1000 and $1500 a month on personal training for elite "executive" trainers. While those folks did know their stuff, unlike the minimum wage boneheads at the globo gym, I really don't need to pay for someone to tell me what to do.

For me, the garage gym has been a Godsend. If I can't sleep at three in the morning, it's time for a workout!

Big props to the lonely Bulgarian CrossFitter. You should open your own affiliate. Sounds like there is an untapped market there.

Also, I can relate to the guy with all the people watching him in China. When I lived in rural Japan in 1986, when I worked out dozens or hundreds of people would stop to gawk and giggle at me like I was a monkey in the zoo. I would lift weights in the yard of a big school, and apparently I was the most interesting show in town. I can still remember the huge crowds of people pointing and murmuring as I did pullups. Hang in there.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #32
Victor Putz

Profile:

Mixed bag, but generally positive for me. On the one hand, doing it at home means no excuses, and means I'm much more likely to do something. Having someone cheer me on oddly deflates me; even my wife dropping by during a workout and saying "you rock!" can be oddly demotivating in a way, though I know she certainly doesn't mean it that way--it's just that I know I should be doing better.

Probably the biggest thing holding me back (aside from bad sleep) is lack of intensity, and I know that sometimes a group environment helps that. But it's tough finding the right kind of environment, because exhortation (either of the "you rock, keep going!" or the "you suck, try harder!" variety) just deflates me, and even competition isn't so great. Not sure what I'm looking for really.

But hey, solo workouts at home are better than no workouts. At least I have that!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #33
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I've been CF'ing on my own in a globo environment because ND blows. I'd love to be able to go to an affiliate and have them call out/correct my form, as necessary.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #34
Kyle Ligon

Profile:

There is a new website out, , that can help the home CrossFitter out with workouts and equipment and scaling options.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #35
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ligon View Post
wtfiswps.com (WPS), that can help the home CrossFitter out with workouts and equipment and scaling options.
Kyle, we get it. Please stop thread reviving with this. Your past 7 threads have all been almost the exact same sentence linking to WOD@home - it's an okay site. Put it in your signature and just use the forums as normal.