CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Mark Martinez

Profile:
Re: Is the WOD Enough?

OP is trying to lose belly fat.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
John Jaeckel

Profile:

My gym does a pretty elaborate warmup (typically something like run 800M, 30 pushups, 30 squats, 10 pullups). I know when I first started CF, that was enough to kick my butt.

Then we do, and this is for me the most important part, a strength/skill session. Like 5x3 OHS, power snatch, 5x5 DL, rear squat, etc.,

These sessions have improved my form and flexibility immensely, as well as I think adding some muscle, which would help with your fat burning.

A lot of people on here follow the Starting Strength protocol, and I would add that in if you're not doing anything other than WODs.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Nick A Wilson

Profile:

Thanks so much for all the advice and links everyone. Sorry i missed the replies. I thought the thread never got posted at all! and only just thought to double check that...

I am only looking to lose the last inch of belly fat. I'm in pretty good shape and since I started on no bread/flour/grains/dairy/sugar etc I've noticed a remarkable improvement in a lot of things. Not least of which is that fat appears to be noticably retreating at last!

I'm definately NOT trying to lose weight. If anything I need to gain in weight in the form of muscle as I am nowhere close the the Rx'd mainsite WOD's in many cases but am certainly working toward it.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Since your new, You might not want to worry about all that right now. I don't know your training history and don't know how your technique is on the lifts crossfit uses. Since you said you've only been doing crossfit a week, you might want to concentrate on your technique on the lifts for some skill work and do workouts using exercises you know you can do like pushups and situps, stuff like that. You want to make sure your technique is good, then consistency in your technique, then you want to raise the intensity. After just a weeks worth of WOD's your not far enough into it to truely be worrying if your getting enough out of it.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Has Linda gotten you to reevaluate your question about whether or not the WODs alone are enough?

Oh, and if you're trying to gain weight don't worry yourself with counting Zone blocks. Just eat a lot of protein and fat and throw in enough fruits and vegetables to cover all your bases on vitamins and minerals. 70s Big (WFS) might be the answer you're looking for.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 AM   #16
Nick A Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Has Linda gotten you to reevaluate your question about whether or not the WODs alone are enough?
Yes! I love those kinds of workouts but as Shawn said, it might be worth working on some of the techniques a bit more before trying to do things like Linda (though the bench and deadlifts were just fine..
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A Wilson View Post
Yes! I love those kinds of workouts but as Shawn said, it might be worth working on some of the techniques a bit more before trying to do things like Linda (though the bench and deadlifts were just fine..
Oh yeah, definitely...you're not going to get good at cleans or snatches if the only time you work your technique is when they come up on the mainpage, so adding the Burgener warmup to your daily warmup is a good idea. Or throwing in some lightweight skill work on your rest days will help improve your neuromuscular efficiency without producing a stress that interferes with your rest. And it goes without saying that a 3/4 bodyweight clean is not something a beginner should jump in to...start with an unloaded bar and slowly add weight assuming your form stays good.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
My gym does a pretty elaborate warmup (typically something like run 800M, 30 pushups, 30 squats, 10 pullups). I know when I first started CF, that was enough to kick my butt.

Then we do, and this is for me the most important part, a strength/skill session. Like 5x3 OHS, power snatch, 5x5 DL, rear squat, etc.,

These sessions have improved my form and flexibility immensely, as well as I think adding some muscle, which would help with your fat burning.

A lot of people on here follow the Starting Strength protocol, and I would add that in if you're not doing anything other than WODs.

This. We do a lot of extra at my affiliate beyond the WoD too.

We start off with some sort of strength building/skill workout.

We've done stuff like: run 800m, run 1 mile, walk 400 meters with a 45 pound plate locked out overhead, a quicky team WoD, rope climbs, strength workouts, tire flips, sledgehammer hits, etc.

Then if the WoD has some sort of barbbell component like a power clean, squat, deadlift, etc. we warm up on that and that turns into a nifty little workout.

Then we do the actual WoD.

Then if the WoD hasn't smoked everyone to the point of total death we do some sort of tabata ab workout.

So yeah, at the affiliate we go beyond the WoD and definitely get some fat burning in the whole hour.