CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
Fire glutes consciously in the Squat?

Even though I've been squatting for 3 years, it occurred to me that I might not be using my glutes enough while squatting as I have anterior pelvic tilt & glute amnesia. (I've been doing glute brides & clam shells to get the glutes firing.)

My question for squatting is: Are you supposed to consciously fire the glutes when coming out of the hole? (much like in the deadlift how one consciously fires the glutes hard once the bar reaches the knees). If I consciously fire the glutes during the ascending part of the squat, I lose my lower back stability and go into a bit of posterior tilt at the end of each rep. Is that lower back rounding position safe?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Fire glutes consciously in the Squat?

I'm more indirect about it. I focus on having my feet screwed into the floor and then make sure I'm pushing my knees out and my feet driven into the floor. I don't actively squeeze my glutes.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I'm more indirect about it. I focus on having my feet screwed into the floor and then make sure I'm pushing my knees out and my feet driven into the floor. I don't actively squeeze my glutes.
Thanks, Robert. That's exactly what I was doing up until now. But when I actively fire the glutes out of the hole, I feel them engage a lot more. I just don't know how to end the movement at the top of the squat - should I keep squeezing the glutes and round lower back (posterior tilt), or not?

To squeeze, or not to squeeze? That is the question!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

Once you're past the sticking point in the squat, you just finish standing up. It's unlike the Deadlift where the entire lift may be hard.

I'd worry more about your pelvic tilt while you're pressing overhead than while you're standing in the Back Squat.

Regarding your low back rounding, the important thing is for your spine to be stabilized. There are folks who promote a breathing technique that invariably makes the lifter be more neutral/slight flexion of the spine than in extension. You just don't want to do the butt wink where your spine isn't stabilized throughout the movement.