CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Eldad Sharon
Member Eldad Sharon is offline
 
Eldad Sharon's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calabsas  CA
Posts: 37
working on recovery

I am starting to play the recovery game a bit better (at least I hope). I drink a protein shake made up of:
1 scoop of protein powder (17g protein)
1 teaspoon L-Glutamine (4.5g Glutamine)
¼ teaspoon Creatine Monohydrate (1.25g CreMono)

The idea being that the protein helps with muscular rebuild, the Glutamine helps push the lactic acid out of the muscle and the Creatine restores ATP and rehydrate muscle tissue. Recently, I have also been mixing this with coconut water due to the high levels of Potassium, Carbs and Sugars found in the drink. I also take a tea spoon of Carlson’s Fish Oil daily.

For dinners I often eat a lean protein (fish or chicken), but sometimes I just make I huge salad with a pretty good variety of color (onion, radish, tomato, kale, broccoli, ect.)

Lastly pre-sleep I take about 1600 mg of GABA and some passionflower. I had been having some sleep issues and sustained an injury, so I am attempting (and feel I am getting) that deep-REM sleep my body needs.

What are some opinions out there? Do any of you see any issue with how I am supplementing? I have heard that the GABA has my body releasing HGH (Human Growth Hormone) is that true? If so should that concern me? Will such a low dosage of Creatine give me unwanted bulk muscle?

Thanks for your time and opinions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
David Hansen
Member David Hansen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tustin  CA
Posts: 148
Re: working on recovery

It's my understanding that for post-workout nutrition, the protein in question should be very fast digesting - e.g. whey hydrolysate or whey isolate - no casein. Also, you should combine it with very fast digesting carbohydrates like maltodextrin or D-glucose. This is to spike insulin to shuttle the amino acids into the muscle cells, stop catabolism, and drop post-exercise cortisol levels.

As for creatine, it's something that is loaded into cells gradually, so taking it exclusively post-workout will likely have no larger effect than any other time of day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Eldad Sharon
Member Eldad Sharon is offline
 
Eldad Sharon's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calabsas  CA
Posts: 37
Re: working on recovery

David as far as I can tell the protein I am taking is a whey concentrate. It is the whey they sell under the Vitamin Shoppe brand name Bodytech.

I can see why people recommend the Isolate, I may try it when I re-up on my protein.

I see where you are coming from with the carbs, is this why I am seeing the common theme of a sweet potato after a workout?

you said it will not really matter when I take the creatine, but is there an optimal time to take it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Justin J. Smith
Member Justin J. Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northridge  CA
Posts: 15
Re: working on recovery

im guessing you go to the woodland hills VS. just come into the Northridge one. We can help you alot better lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: working on recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
It's my understanding that for post-workout nutrition, the protein in question should be very fast digesting - e.g. whey hydrolysate or whey isolate - no casein. Also, you should combine it with very fast digesting carbohydrates like maltodextrin or D-glucose. This is to spike insulin to shuttle the amino acids into the muscle cells, stop catabolism, and drop post-exercise cortisol levels.

As for creatine, it's something that is loaded into cells gradually, so taking it exclusively post-workout will likely have no larger effect than any other time of day.
Whey+casein is fine--you get the best of both (i.e. quick hitting plus sustained digestion) and it's not like the two cancel each other out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: working on recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
It's my understanding that for post-workout nutrition, the protein in question should be very fast digesting - e.g. whey hydrolysate or whey isolate - no casein. Also, you should combine it with very fast digesting carbohydrates like maltodextrin or D-glucose. This is to spike insulin to shuttle the amino acids into the muscle cells, stop catabolism, and drop post-exercise cortisol levels.

As for creatine, it's something that is loaded into cells gradually, so taking it exclusively post-workout will likely have no larger effect than any other time of day.
Your understanding of proteins it wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: working on recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldad Sharon View Post
David as far as I can tell the protein I am taking is a whey concentrate. It is the whey they sell under the Vitamin Shoppe brand name Bodytech.

I can see why people recommend the Isolate, I may try it when I re-up on my protein.

I see where you are coming from with the carbs, is this why I am seeing the common theme of a sweet potato after a workout?

you said it will not really matter when I take the creatine, but is there an optimal time to take it?
No on the optimal time. Why are you only ingesting 1.25g? That won't do anything for you from an ergogenic perspective. Take 5g.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: working on recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Whey+casein is fine--you get the best of both (i.e. quick hitting plus sustained digestion) and it's not like the two cancel each other out.

Righto. If they did, milk wouldn't do us much good, now would it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: working on recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Righto. If they did, milk wouldn't do us much good, now would it?
If only there was a company that sold such a product....
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: working on recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If only there was a company that sold such a product....
Lol. Yeah, and it would be even better if the owner posted here regularly, wrote for the CrossFit Journal, and helped with the CrossFit powerlifting certs...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I'm working towards. Jon Yeo Exercises 9 06-18-2010 10:21 PM
Working Towards... Anu Varadharajan Workout Logs 425 02-10-2009 12:42 PM
Working on... Randy Tarasevich Running a CrossFit Facility 11 10-05-2007 04:18 PM
I'm working my way up Brian Rideout Exercises 2 02-25-2006 02:55 PM
RECOVERY Michael Halbfish Fitness 5 01-12-2004 09:28 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.