CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Brian Stahl

Profile:
I starting to take a protein drink immediately following my workouts, specifically a GNC 50 gram protein shake. A friend of mine was told by a personal trainer that this is not necessary, and that chocolate milk is a suitable replacement. Chocolate milk has about 8 grams protein. The reasoning is that the human body can only absorb so much protein, and that the rest is expelled from the body as waste. Is this true?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
You want skim (or very very low fat) chocolate milk. Usually one small bottle is 16oz, which is 2 servings...so comes out to like 16g protein and 50grams carbs. Has nothing to do with max protein absorbtion. (as some people may be able to take in 50-60grams of real food per meal..). Has to do with the carb to protein ratio. Optimal at anywhere from 2:1 to 4:1 for post workout. Be warned though, it's high in sugar so if your goal is weight loss or you are insulin resistant in some way, it's not going to be something you want. Just a quick boost to restore glycogen replenishment and protein to the muscles.

If you Google Chocolate milk and Recovery Drink you will see everyone starting to jump on the bandwagon. I think the original research was done on some cyclists who worked for like 45min, were given recovery drinks, and then later went for another 45min. It showed the chocolate milk outperforming the gatorade only (because gatorade doesn't have protein, just sugars). The combination of protein and carbs optimizes muscle recovery than just carbs or just protein alone.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Joe Beman

Profile:
Try this:

Blend frozen mango chunks (Trader Joe's sells them in 1lb 8oz. bags), 1.5 scoops of protein powder (I use Designer whey protien) and some lowfat milk.

That's my breakfast. Delicious.

If you need more quick carbs for recovery you can add honey. Or, you can add flax oil for more Omega 3s.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Joe--

Designer Whey is a Low Quality Protein. I would try and make a switch.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
Joe Beman

Profile:
Sam L.,

Really? How is that? Enlighten me. What do you reccomend for putting in a drink like I described.

I'm looking for something with few chemicals and additives.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Joe,

I like stuff at www.Allthewhey.com
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Curtis Nelson

Profile:
Brian,

Great questions. You are smart to consider a protien or meal replacement drink for post workout recovery. You were correct in assuming that your body might not be able to absorb all 50 grams of protien in your protien drink. There aren't a whole lot of men out there who can absorb that much protien at one sitting. So you basically, you heard right. The average guess-ta-mation is that the average male weighing around 200 pounds can absorb 30 grams of protien for full utilization by the body (this is an extreme average). Just remember that the only way for any of us to know exactly would be to pay thousands of dollars for months and be monitored by doctors/scientists for us to truly know. So this is why I say that it is a guess. The only person to truly know or study how your body reacts to certain foods is you. You must treat your body like an experiment.

I am lucky to have had a friend who was a nutritionist/bodybuilder when I was younger. I would always quiz him on what he ate or how he trained. The greatest thing that I learned from him wasn't how to eat or train but he gave me the greatest advice that I still pass on to people today. One day, after me asking him a million questions, he said, "You have to become a master of your own body if you are going to stay fit. If you want to become a lawyer, you become a master of the law. If you want to be a good fighter you might choose to master the martial arts. If you want to be fit for life you have to master your body. You must educate yourself on nutrition and training or you will not succeed. Something that works for me might not work for you. But, you will not know unless you master your body."

If you need some good reference material to read I can always help.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Joe--

I have been told by many sources that Designer Protein is low quality.

I like to use Prosource, IsoPure (Nature's Best) or even IDS. All good sources of Whey Protein and they taste great!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:51 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Post workout chocolate milk for harder longer workouts. Zone meal for Max effort workouts (no need to replace carbs).
Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I'm with Allen, I go allthewhey with allthewhey.com, hah. :-)