CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Josh Hanlon

Profile:
Flexability

I am new to crossfit and I love it. I have been working out for the past 14 years and this has really helped recharge me.

However, after my years of conventional lifting and neglecting stretching I mainly noticed that I have very poor flexibility, mainly in my shoulders. I have a lot of problems doing overhead squats, clean and jerk, etc. I cannot get the weight to a good position behind my head.

Are their any good exercises I can do or ways to stretch to help with this?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Flexability

Shoulder dislocates.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Jeremy Konieczny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Shoulder dislocates.
Yeah I totally agree. I feel like I just need to rip my shoulder out of socket a few times, then tear my rotator a bit, and maybe I will be able to get my arms to go back at -30deg like most are doing.
I have asked about this subject before on here and all I got back was people telling me hamstring flexibility. Well, yes I guess that can help but it's not a matter of getting low; I can get my butt to touch the ground squatting. It is a matter of getting my shoulders to somehow go in the unnatural position, 4 feet behind my head.
I asked like 6 months ago, and I still can't do overhead squats. Couldn't finish the workout today only got 5 sets done with a measly 65lb and am more frustrated than when I couldn't do one muscle up when they wanted 3 sets of 7 and something else. I should have just done the 95lb and skipped the overhead squats.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Jeremy Konieczny

Profile:

And please no pics of successful OHS i know what it looks like. What would help is how to make my arms go 30 deg backwards, some pics maybe of what not to do, maybe things like grip, where to start the descent, what I should be concentrating on, etc. And maybe I will show a pic of me and how my arms do not go past parallel with my upper back. In fact I am gonna get that now.... Ok now see the nice straight line from my butt to my wrists...yeah can't go back any farther than that. Weight is on my heels, though knees are in front of my toes. Every muscle in my lower and middle back pulling as hard as possible to keep my arms back because they want to go forward sooooo bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overhead Squat.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	5764  

Last edited by Jeremy Konieczny; 01-30-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Jeremy- if you have a Journal scrip, check out Starett's stuff on shoulder impingement and shoulder prep. He has lots of good, detailed info on pre-hab, injury, flexibility the whole 9.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hanlon View Post
I am new to crossfit and I love it. I have been working out for the past 14 years and this has really helped recharge me.

However, after my years of conventional lifting and neglecting stretching I mainly noticed that I have very poor flexibility, mainly in my shoulders. I have a lot of problems doing overhead squats, clean and jerk, etc. I cannot get the weight to a good position behind my head.

Are their any good exercises I can do or ways to stretch to help with this?
This should help. Pay particular attention to the stretches, although some of the strengthening exercises will also decrease weakness in any stabilizer muscles of the shoulder. I don't remember if there's pec stretches in the video, do those too.

WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Tommy O'Connor

Profile:

That shoulder rehab looks pretty sweet. The typical lifter usually has tight pecs, lats, and excessive internal rotation.. SO working on all of them would probably be a good start flexibility wise. Usually the antagonist muscle groups of the pecs are week too.. Middle and lower traps sometimes fall into this realm.

Doin an overhead squat is hard for a lot of lifters I've found! Good luck getting it goin.