CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
David Croushore

Profile:
Peroneus Longus (I think) pain

Does anyone have experience with injuries to the peroneus longus?

About two weeks ago I started to get some aching pain in my right leg, a bit too high to be in the ankle, a bit too low to be in the calf, on the back and slight outside of the leg. The pain never really bothered me during workouts so I kept going hoping it would go away on its own like most aches do.

Last weekend, I ran by longest run in 10 months, going 8.2 miles (I have done 10k several times with no problems) and experienced a bit of pain in that leg and then a twinge in my knee that felt like my ITBS coming back (at that point I stopped running). This week, the aching has been much worse, including some sharper pain when walking.

My research leads me to think it's a problem with my peroneus longus. Doing the stretch I've found for that muscle/tendon (which is it? I see it listed as both) makes the area very sensative to the touch, and coming out of the stretch is somewhat painful. I also experience a "popping/cracking" feeling when I dorsiflex the ankle, though this is not painful.

Any ideas? I have been going with ice massages, stretching, limiting impact in my workouts (no running or jumping), and ibuprofen (which I hate taking). Is this the right strategy? How long will this take to heal? Should I be worried about my ITBS flaring up become of subconsciously compensating for this?

Thanks for any and all insights you may have.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Peroneus Longus (I think) pain

This article was made for you wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

Specifically, soft tissue work in section 4... all of it.

Loosen up that area with heat, then massage, then PNF stretching. IF it's muscle there.

Otherwise, ice it up if it helps, rest, massage.

Fish oil for both.