CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Brent Ramos

Profile:
Shoulder

I started the WOD tonight, 12 muscle ups(subbed with 36 pull ups/dips), and I was on my second set of 5 (pacing myself with sets of 5 and one set of 6 otherwise I burn out) and I felt a pop in my right shoulder as I went up.

Keep in mind I guess they're technically classified as chin ups, I do mine with my palms facing me.
It felt kind of like a normal joint pop that you would experience as you do an arm circle to stretch your arm out. But I felt a bit of pain and finished the set.

I tried to stretch it out and the pain went away but when I attempted my next set (1 minute rest between sets) I felt the pain as I went back up. I finished the set again.

I decided to modify the pull up workout to a training set workout following the armstrong pull up workout(3 sets of 5 normal pull ups, 3 sets of 5 narrow grip pull ups, and 3 sets of wide overhand pull ups) I felt pain but just finished.

It doesn't hurt at all through most ranges of motion, but when attempting pull ups I feel it pop through the pull up.

What would you guys recommend? I cannot go a day without doing pull ups, my numbers literally decrease by at least 10 percent every two days.

What would be a good sub? Should I just do them through the pain? What's the worst case scenario in that situation?

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Shoulder

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts

2. Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. Acute or chronic?

4. Any previous injury history?

5. How's your posture?

6. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart?

7. Check the tissue quality of the surround muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

8. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Initial impressions -- if you had chronic dislocation I'd think bankart lesion... but popping with an onset by popping. May be just some instability. Shrug.

For now if it's soft tissue you can: REST, take anti-inflammatory like fish oil (3-5g EPA+DHA), self massage 3-5x per day of 10-15 minutes each trying to loosen up tender/tight/painful spots, possibly some light stretching and keeping it moving/loose. Compression and possibly ice if there's swelling.

REST REST REST. Stop doing pullups.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Brent Ramos

Profile:

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts

2. Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
It pops and a bit of pain is experienced when I hold my arm at a right angle in front of me as if I'm coming to and over the bar in a chin up.

It doesn't hurt when it is at rest, but only when mimicking a chin up or held up in front of me.

It feels almost as if it's a nerve, I can feel the pain start in my shoulder and travel along my forearm, almost to my hand, it's subtle, but it feels almost as if something needs to be cracked (like my knuckles feel when they need to be cracked)

3. Acute or chronic?
Acute.

4. Any previous injury history?
I've hurt the opposite shoulder before.
5. How's your posture?
Great.

6. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart?
Pull ups/chin ups, push ups, along with all the other cross fit lifts/exercises that require a right shoulder.

7. Check the tissue quality of the surround muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
No swelling, no muscles feel overly tender or tight.

8. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
It's not excruciating pain, not near that, especially when I'm not doing chin ups. However, when executing chin ups it progresses, it almost starts to feel numb after I complete a set of chins. Only during chin ups does it hurt, I completed my push up work out last night and I did not experience any pain.

Thanks for the assistance.
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, the information you provided didn't tell me much more than you already provided, especially with no articulation assessment (were supposed to said.. flexion does not hurt, extension hurts, etc.) and no picture.

From what I can tell may be a subluxation injury.. possibly.

Do some nerve glides wfs
http://www.handhealthresources.com/S.../Exercises.htm

See if they help.

I find it highly improbable you have no tender or tight muscles in the shoulder. Even healthy people do.

You may want to a see a orthopedic doc if this persists. Especially if you're not gonna help me out with information (not that this should be taken as a medical opinion otherwise because it's just a guess).
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
Brent Ramos

Profile:

Ah, I apologize, I misread your request.

In that case, I feel a slight bit of pain during flexion when my right arm approaches the angle parallel to the floor. I would say this pain occurs in the anterior deltoid (according to the diagram provided).

2. I feel no pain at all during extension.
3. I feel no pain during adduction, however joint pops are heard in both shoulders during the movement.
4. No pain during abduction.
5. No pain during transverse adduction.
6. I feel slight pain during transverse flexion in the anterior deltoid.
7. Transverse abduction induces no pain.
8. No pain during transverse extension.
9. No pain during medical rotation.
10. No pain during lateral rotation.

I attempted a pull up this evening to determine whether the condition had worsened, I got about halfway up before feeling the same pop (as I've previously stated, it feels as if the joint is merely popping/shifting) and I then experience above mild pain. A slight, temporary numbness was experienced a few seconds after I attempted the pull up.

As for the tightness in the muscles, in comparison with my other, healthy, shoulder I notice no tightness or swelling.

I completed the nerve glides earlier this afternoon and felt no difference.

I was doing arm circles earlier and noticed that backward, beginning at mid sized arm circles, induced pain similar to that experienced during pull ups.

Thanks again for all the advice and assistance.

Last edited by Brent Ramos; 01-06-2010 at 02:16 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, if there was no popping I'd think you may have just strained your biceps or pulled something up near the long head of the biceps.

However, the popping seems to indicate that there's something likely torn, especially with the neurological symptoms and the joint moving about.

I'm thinking (and I remind you this is just a guess) that you might've torn one of your glenhumeral ligaments. Likely not the inferior as that would tend to indicate a bankart lesion (and your shoulder would chronically dislocate).... thus probably either middle or superior glenhumeral ligaments.

Thus, the shoulder is subluxing a bit when you do movements.

I would suggest getting it checked out by an orthpedic doc because I am in no way confident of this guess at all just basing it on the anatomy I know of the shoulder. Most other injuries have some key symptoms to them, but this one is a bit weird in manifestation.