CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
John Devine

Profile:
Box Jump Question

Back in the day, when I was doing jump training, we usually did them as "depth jumps". Meaning we would start at the top, drop down to the ground to get the eccentric contraction and then explode back up. This is currently how do box jumps in the WOD. I think of the movement as starting at the top. For instance, when I rest, I rest on top of the box not on the ground. Is this not correct or not advised? I read a couple of posts that indicated the proper technique was actually to step down off the box, not to even jump.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Box Jump Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Devine View Post
Back in the day, when I was doing jump training, we usually did them as "depth jumps". Meaning we would start at the top, drop down to the ground to get the eccentric contraction and then explode back up. This is currently how do box jumps in the WOD. I think of the movement as starting at the top. For instance, when I rest, I rest on top of the box not on the ground. Is this not correct or not advised? I read a couple of posts that indicated the proper technique was actually to step down off the box, not to even jump.
If you want fast cycle times for multi rep box jump WODs (think FGB) then a lot of people jump on and jump off in rapid succession.

Some people jump up and step down when they are fatigued, others do it to avoid possible injury (turning an ankle on the descent) or to avoid aggravating an existing injury.

If you are going for max height jumps (40, 50, 60" etc.), jumping down may be your only choice, unless you have an accessible escape route from the top of a high box.

Totally depends on what you are doing.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you are doing plyometrics where you jump off of a box and explode up, the box height is only a few inches since any more than that and the turn around time on the ground is too long to provide the desired training effect.

As far as the way you are doing box jumps, they are faster so probably better. Just make sure at some point in the movement, preferably during the jump, your hips are fully extended.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Depth jumps are an advanced plyometric exercise. They should be used judiciously. Box jumps get a bit dicey if you start doing them like plyometric depth jumps. It's far safer to do box jumps with a step down.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I've done them the way the OP mentioned (at least I do them that way when I can) and it's like a depth jump in the same way a light deadlift is the same as a Dynamic deadlift.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
John Devine

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. I pretty much just do them as part of the WOD such as FF or FGB. Nothing too crazy and my box is 22" high. As long as I dont stress my knees I'll just keep on doing them as I have been.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If you are doing plyometrics where you jump off of a box and explode up, the box height is only a few inches since any more than that and the turn around time on the ground is too long to provide the desired training effect.
Are you saying for a depth jump (as I understand: jump down from box 1, eccentric load, jump up to box 2) that the box you jump down from to start the rep should have a maximum height of a few inches otherwise you aren't loading properly? I've never really done depth jumps before but it makes sense. What height would you recommend assuming you were doing reps onto a 24" box?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Depends on your goals. If you are using plyos as they were designed, to increase neural effciency and muscle spindle, they aren't done for reps. 5 at most. what you are jumping onto doesn't really matter. you want a box you can jump off of and jump as soon as you land. 6 inches at most, 3 is better.