CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-29-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
Aptdwler

Profile:

I curious about damper settings on the concept2. They say 3-5 for aerobic, but what about anerobic? What are some of you using for a hard 500? Yes, I purchased one. Really nice machine. I'm trying a hard 500 soon. I'm still a little mixed up about the damper however. If 2 people had the same stroke length, same damper setting, and rpm, it seems like the speed would have to be the same??
Old 07-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
I’m not a rowing coach, but after years using the A-D models I have found that most people enjoy a setting of four. This is the best of all worlds yielding the best results from short interval work to longer duration efforts. The accommodating resistance from the wheel will give you everything you need. If you want big resistance from a 10 setting do some power pulls (5-10 strokes) and then back off. Personally I would have you do some deadlifts or pulls to build power.

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
Jason Carey

Profile:
huh. i always set it somewhere between 8 and 10. maybe that's what keeps my 500m times in the 1:50 range. i notice that my own tendency at this setting is to increase the spm (usually @ 27-30), which cuts the range of each stroke. maybe this is where i'm losing speed.
aptdwlr - i wonder if the explosiveness of the load bearing phase of the stroke might account for differences in speed if the other 2 variables remain constant. in other words, if you pull faster/harder, but take more time to return to the start position in the unloaded (eccentric?) phase, you might conceivably have the same rpm but more power output than someone with a more balanced stroke.
i've been wondering about the damper settings - thanks for bringing it up. curious to see what others are using.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Aptdwlr-

As a lightweight rower (sub 165 at 6'), I used 3. I'm a bit heavier now (about 165), but I still find that 3 works best. In crew practice, I think that even the biggest, best rower I ever knew never went above 4. Rowing at 10, IMO, is like running in steel toe boots with a parchute on; it's still way too little resistance to build strength, and it's too heavy to get as good of an aerobic/anaerobic workout as you could by rating it up with a lower damper setting. Olympic rowers row 2Ks at close to a 40; even on my small college team, we tried to keep 2K rates at 30-35.

Jason -

Good idea about strokes per minute. When you're training on the water rower are taught not to rush the slide (that is, not to perform the recovery too quickly). The main reason for this is that rushing the slide upsets the boat, but I find (maybe just from habit) that I bring my splits down fastest by focusing on good 'rhythym:' Long and strong on the strokes, easy and relaxed up the slides. The recovery:stroke ratio always dwindles as the stroke rate climbs, but I find that the longer I can keep my recoveries in relation to my drives, the higher my power is. The reason that I am more powerful by taking more time on the recovery is just the one you stated: Focusing on 'floating' up the slide and then 'jamming with legs' keeps my stroke long and smooth.

Ross Hunt
Old 07-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
David Werner

Profile:
Check this thread out, damper question is answered at the end.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/1069.html

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 07-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
FWIW, I tend to I think of the rower's damper setting as sort of analogous to a bicycle gear. Two people can (theoretically) go the same overall distance in the same amount of time in totally different gears and ultimately produce the same amount of power. One person may use fast revolutions—requiring relatively small force per revolution (per pull, in the case of rowers) and covering a relatively small distance each time, but doing it a lot of times, with each pull happening very quickly. The other person may use high resistance and lower revolutions—requiring a lot of force for each revolution (or pull) and going a greater distance each time but doing it many fewer times (and taking a relatively longer amount of time per pull).

The idea with the rower is that you get to choose your own damper setting and thus decide—based on your physique, technique, personal preference—where on the continuum between those poles you want to be, and the rower, as the Concept2 site puts it, "calculates power produced/distance rowed precisely regardless of damper setting" (see link in Dave's massage, above). In other words, it all comes out in the wash anyway, so it doesn't really matter whether people are using different settings.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Jason Carey

Profile:
i guess what i'm trying to figure out is what exactly the damper does. ie what does it mean to slow down the flywheel?
to borrow carrie's comparison - if it's a proxy for drag, then i don't think it's so much analogous to a bicycle gear as to the rolling resistance of the bike. in this case, you might have the same power output but different results due changes in drag.
say 2 individuals put out the same amount of power in different ways. rower 1 takes a single heavy pull over a longer range of motion, and rower 2 takes two pulls over a shorter range of motion in the same time period. then both stop pulling and wait 5 secs. if the damper setting is the same, they should cover exactly the same distance over that time. but if it's different, won't the flywheel with the higher damper setting stop first? does this mean less distance traveled?
am i completely lost?
:crazy: