CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:
Ow my SHOULDER!!

So last week I finally decided it was time to work on my dip and shoulder press form and started going to my full ROM on both, which my CrossFit buddy told me was severly contributing to my lack of flexibility in my upper body.

I have extremely tight shoulders and needless to say I should have been smarter and dropped weight on the press and taken of some weight on the dips (I try to add 10-25 pounds).

Now, I got an annoying pain in my left shoulder and feel it with I raise my hand or rotate the shoulder. After more than a week off of touching any sort of weights-- I go and workout an hour ago and during my shoulder press start feeling the same exact pain, ten days later. Now my shoulder hurts even worse than before.

Anyone had similar experiences-- I believe I somehow overstretched my shoulder?!? Should I take more time off? I usually feel this during press, pushup, burpees and bench excercises but not so much during pullups or any kind of rowing excercise. It just feels like my left shoulder is extremely stretched out, is this something I should a doctor about? I know I dont want to.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Ow my SHOULDER!!

Ice.. strengthen your external rotators... do more pulling.

Focus on improving your posture and scapular mobility too.

If that doesn't help you might wanna see a doc.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Patrick Brown

Profile:
Re: Ow my SHOULDER!!

I'm still recovering from a shoulder injury (5 months and counting). I would definitely take a period of compete shoulder rest with plenty of ice and NSAIDs. I wish I had done that in the beginning. Seeing a doctor was also a benefit in my case, but be sure you treat yourself before that.