CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
John Stirling

Profile:
Black Box

Here I go. The ME days to find my max's are done and I'm getting ready to start Black Box. I've been doing CrossFit since January and I'm trying to start implementing CrossFit Endurance in when I have time. Here's my question. On the days that I do Black Box, the method that I've chosen, I will only be doing 5 sets. Is it too much to do the WOD's on those days as well. If it's okay, should I do it before or after the WOD (I'm assuming before). The other question I have is can the CF Endurance be added into it as well or am I just going to be doing too much on those days?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Ben Chapman

Profile:
Re: Black Box

If you're in decent shape, you can do both on the same day. I definetly advise on doing the ME first.

I would probably lay off endurance if you're already doing a WOD and ME on the same day. That's just me, there's always the other days of the week to work the endurance stuff. Not that it can't be done though, I just don't have that much time usually.

Give it a try and see how you fancy it. Our gym does multiple WODs all the time, as well as ME in addition to a WOD. So it really just depends on you.

*I will also add that it really depends on the WOD too, obviously some are much more frightening than others.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

I would start off with just the ME workouts for a while and gauge how your body feels before adding more.
Also, remember that the more elements you add the less each one gets developed. If you start adding more WOD's and Endurance work, your body will have to split growth between these and heavy lifting. Keeping it as simple as possible will get you the most benefits from each thing you're doing.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Are you trying to do ME lifting, crossfit, and endurance stuff at the same time? If so, I'd posit that you're spreading yourself very, very thin, and will reap minimal benefits out of all three. You would be far better off specializing in each for a period of time, rather than putting a weak effort into all at the same time.

Thinking long term, you're far better off to just do SS or a pure strength cycle until you cannot benefit from it anymore, than come back and gain what little metcon ability you might have lost during that time, which will not take very long. You'll get the most out of strength training, which is by far the hardest to train, while losing little on Metcon, which comes back very quickly.

You might have to give up CF for a bit, but your gains and strength boost will be of a much better quality, simply becacuse your body will have both the time and resources to recover.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
John Stirling

Profile:

I appreciate the input. The way that my black box is set up is to do one day of ME per 3 day cycle. Basically CrossFit, Black Box, CrossFit, Rest Day. Today was the first day of the Black Box work for me and the WOD worked out well because it was running. I'm not going to do cleans for Black Box and do a WOD the same day that emphasizes cleans as well, but just something to keep up the metcon work. This will probably be an experimental thing, taking everyones suggestions and seeing what works the best. Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Tim Luby

Profile:

I don't necessarily agree that endurance and strength gains can't be achieved simultaneously. I think they could actually be very complementary. Yes, this defies common knowledge, because we all know that endurance efforts can burn hard-earned muscle.

But at the same time, stronger muscles enhance endurance efforts and thus, can help improve your endurance. Plus, if you are eating right during/after your endurance efforts, I believe the damage can be minimized.

John, I've been black boxing for the last month doing long runs, (working toward a 50k) and doing metcons. At first, I thought I would like to add a metcon to my ME day, but my body told me the ME effort was plenty for one day. You may feel differently, but I don't think it's necessary or all that beneficial to do a 2nd workout. What I do instead is a 6-day-a-week cycle (when time allows) of ME-metcon-rest-ME-metcon-trail run-metcon/trail run. I use the term metcon loosely here to include other stuff I do such as heavy bag and sandbag workouts.

In any case, have a look at my log--looks like we're going down similar paths. Are you training for anything in particular?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stirling View Post
I appreciate the input. The way that my black box is set up is to do one day of ME per 3 day cycle. Basically CrossFit, Black Box, CrossFit, Rest Day. Today was the first day of the Black Box work for me and the WOD worked out well because it was running. I'm not going to do cleans for Black Box and do a WOD the same day that emphasizes cleans as well, but just something to keep up the metcon work. This will probably be an experimental thing, taking everyones suggestions and seeing what works the best. Thanks again for the input.
I would put the BB before crossfit in your cycle--you'll want to be as fresh as possible.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
John Stirling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
Are you training for anything in particular?
Tim, I have a couple of goals right now. I've done a charity boxing event the past two years but that's more short term if I decide to fight again. My main goals are 1) to set a great example for my son that's due to be born in 22 days, and 2) I would like to some day soon to participate in a triathalon.

I've been concentrating on running recently because it's something I've never liked but I'm starting to enjoy it. I need to get a bike and then start up on the swimming as well.

Since I've been doing it, the CrossFit WOD's and the CrossFit Endurance WOD seem to compliment each other very well. I'm still in the process of trying it all out and experimenting and I'll keep posting on how it's going. Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
Tim Luby

Profile:

So where did you net out? More importantly, congrats on the forthcoming baby!