CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Doug Holland

Profile:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercise

After me and Rich were talking about wrist problems on his log today, I figured many of you might be experiencing similar issues.

If you are developing CTS or have pain in your wrists from doing OLY's you might get relief through this exercise.

The Exercise:

Face a bare wall at arms length, raise your arm at 90 degrees keeping your body vertical and stiff.

Put your hand up - fingers high (like a stop sign). Your thumb and fingers must stay together.

Gently lean towards the wall until your palm goes flat with your fingers pointing at the ceiling.

Take a baby step forward while sliding your hand down about 6 inches. Make sure your palm stays in contact with the wall - fingers still pointing up.

Resist letting your thumb coming loose from the first digit. Your body must stay straight and the arm must not bend.

Now, take another step and slide your hand down until you cant take it anymore. Feel the stretch.

Most of my patients can go pretty deep after only a month.

Ok, we call that plantar carpal flexing.

To do the dorsal aspect of the stretch (back of hand), just flip your hand over and slid your hand up the wall.

Basically its just the opposite of what you were doing only you are using the back of your hand.

Do not let the most distal part of your wrist come off the wall. Fingers point down and you slide your stiff arm up the wall.

Do this three times a day and you will see great flexibility in your wrists.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Holland; 03-25-2008 at 10:42 AM..
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Sam Marusich

Profile:
Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercise

Thanks. I've been having hell with overhead lifts because of this. I'll give it a try.