CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Mike Marin

Profile:
Crossfit for a Tae Bo junkie

A VERY good friend of mine -who also happens to be my old trainer- is a Tae Bo junkie. She swears by it, and will take a class every chance she gets. I've told her about Crossfit and seems genuinely interested (especially after seeing the amazing results I've gotten).

My question is what would be the best workouts for her to do so she can get a real flavor of what Crossfit is. This girl is in AMAZING shape!!! She's an ex-gymnast, and professional dancer/choreographer. I took her to a kickboxing class and a Krav maga class and wasn't very impressed.

Any suggestions????
Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for a Tae Bo junkie

I seem to be stirring the pot a lot to day, she didn't notice the same results with Tae Bo? :stir:

If she's in amazing shape have her try Fran. Now have her scale and work her way into rx'd WODs.

No but really have her do a Cindy/Fran or something else to get an idea, there is another thread about workouts that define CrossFit. Have her try these, scaled if needed. If she isn't hooked after one or two WODs I would be surprised.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:

let her try cindy. or even a half-cindy would do- as many rounds as possible for 10 minutes. i'm even tempted to say tabata squats, but i'm not sure what the rhabdo potential on that may be.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Sounds like good raw material any one of the following would probably give her a taste.

Fran (scaled)
Fight gone bad
Karen
tabata this
tabata something else
Angie
Cindy
Barbara
Chelsea
400Mx10 with one min rest each round

She probably can't do OHS or some of the other heavier workouts like Linda, but maybe she can.

I have been to several Krav classes (which I liked). Mine were technique oriented not even remotely metabolic for me (although for some present they were). I think of a "kick boxing class" like a "make believe martial arts" aerobic class. At least the one I see at the local 24hr is, non contact just shadow boxing stuff. Why did you take her to those instead of doing even a simple CF workout?

I think of a statement about programs I read years ago:

A crappy program undertaken with total hardcore commitment will give better results than the perfect program undertaken with half hearted effort!

Your old trainer may just be a hardcore stud(ette) at heart. CF may just fit her fine. If she is in shape currently I doubt rhabdo is a likely problem but that is just my opinion.

Have you sent her to the website?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Mike Marin

Profile:

thanks for the reply guys!

Craig:
I took her to those "martial arts" classes just before I discovered Crossfit. Since I've been crossfitting, I only see her while she's working.
But she's been anxious to try some of the workouts and wants me to work out with her when -as she said- "lose my Crossfit cherry."

I will definitely have her try some of the WOD's on your list.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Oh yeah....great idea.

I have never had anyone do a first workout with me on a Fight Gone Bad day and actually come back.

They glare at me from across the shop and tell everyone what a jackA$$ I am, as they hobble around for a few days.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:

I'm with Frank (BTW, where you been mate?)

Whatever you do DON'T CRIPPLE HER.

While it's amusing to watch people vomit and stuff it's not a good advertisement for Crossfit and chances are that you'll simply make her feel bad, possibly embarrassed and then she won't come back.

Even for "super fit" people I scale their first few workouts waaaaaaay back.

We ran a FGB for our first ever Crossfit Sydney workout and out of 12 people i think one person came back. We eventually learnt from that.

My default first CF workout at the moment is

5-10 pushups
10-15 situps
10-15 kettlebell swings (8 or 16kg)
200 m jog

3 rounds without forcing the time component
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Alan Kalbarczyk

Profile:

I just had 2 new guys start with me last week their first day I had
them do FGB 1min first rnd and 24" box jump and scalled
rounds 2-3 to 30sec and less then a 18" box jump.
They said it was rough but they came back.

You really want to test her have her do Filthy Fifty..
Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

I had a 24hr trainer (who I think is in good shape by traditional measures) do "part" of a WOD with me once I think it was 12 reps squat clean 65lbs and 7 pullups max rounds in 20 min.

I just had him do just four hard rounds and he was toast. It is funny when a lean muscular guy kind of smirks at the 65 lb weight while I show him a proper squat clean.

10 min later he has an altogether different look on his face when he is trying to get the nerve to pick it up again cause he in such metabolic discomfort.

This was in response to our earlier discussions about "cardio". He said it takes too much time and is boring but he should make himself do it more. I convinced him to do just 5 min of my type of "cardio", but at least four rounds.

He was not sore at all from this but the workout left an impression on him. He is not ready for CF but he does do and has his clients do versions of the Oly lifts, DL and other real movements, unlike a lot of his peers.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Tabata squats. I did that to a trooper friend of mine after a half-Cindy because he didn't feel like 10 mins was "enough". I told him, "this will only take 4 minutes, and you're only going to work for 2:50 of that." I love doing that to people. He's a BJJ purple belt - and he couldn't walk down stairs the next day. So, I would advise going "easy" - but if someone gives you the "this isn't hard enough" at the end of a scaled WoD, just throw in Tabata squats at the end of it. Always a winner.