CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:
building chest

Hi, I'm new to the boards but I have been on the site many times. I started working out after I saw the movie 300(haha) which was a couple of weeks ago. I went on gym jones and got started. The first few times I did push ups, I was sore the next day. I'm naturally very lean so I'm not exactly looking to drop any body fat %.

Now when I do push-ups, I am not sore at all. Last night I did a couple sets with a 10 lb. plate on my back, then another set with a 25 lb. plate on my back. I can't feel anything today. I was wondering what I can do to build my chest more(should I resort to bench press?). Or which variations of push ups will be sure to leave me hurting and seeing results?

I can show a current picture of my body if needed, but I'm looking for the 300/fight club lean muscle body type(who isn't?). Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: building chest

1. Soreness does not always equal muscle growth. In fact, it is a poor indicator of hypertrophy. Soreness = muscles not being used to a given load/volume/exercise.

2. Overhead pressing (all variations) and weighted dips will get you a more developed chest. Bench press and variations, depending on body structure, tend to be a primarily triceps exercise for most people.

3. Also, look into getting some rings.

Last edited by Steven Low; 09-18-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

If you want that look, you need to work your whole body, not just your chest. Read the FAQ, hang around, do forum searches and you'll find CrossFit will work everything.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Once you get used to something, it probably won't give you much soreness. I used to do pushups all the time, but recent times have shown them dropped almost entirely. I did a pushup competition with some friends and that one set was enough to make my shoulders sore.

For hypertrophy, you want to do high sets, low reps, high tension. Pretty much, just lift heavy and a lot. My advice, though, is to just train for function. I think you will be quite satisfied with the whole-body transformation.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Edwards View Post
I was wondering what I can do to build my chest more?
CrossFit and eat.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Squats & Milk

(my generic answer for everything.)
Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Just workout CF and supplement with some extra chest pressing movements a few days a week. This way you will develop your whole body and give your chest a little extra.

Progressively work on harder pushups - Regular, feet elevated, one armed feet apart, one armed feet together, one arm one leg, or get really strong on Bench press.

Eat enough to support growth

This is more like general advice, not very CF-like.

For the sake of argument if you were just looking for chest/pec hypertrophy. a couple days a week do 10x10 reps of a pushup move (or BP) work down the list towards harder moves as you are able.

I'll bet if you could do 10x10 of one armed one legged pushups you would have a pretty well developed chest/shoulder/tri.

Seriously though don't get all out of balance or you are asking for injury. Do your pullups, do overhead pressing ect.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Cal Jones

Profile:

Dips are also tremendous for building the chest.

But yes, do make sure to balance it with plenty of upper back work - if your pecs get strong and your back doesn't, it'll pull your shoulders forward, giving you a round-shouldered look. It will also make you very prone to rotator cuff problems.

Try not to think of the body as a collection of different parts, but as an integrated machine. It needs working as a whole. Exercises like squats and deadlifts will trigger growth in the whole body, so it's important to include them. Just don't bother with isolation exercises.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Jonathan Edwards

Profile:

Ya I currently do deadlifts, pull ups, cleans, box jumps, floor wipers, etc...

I was just looking more in depth towards chest, maybe I should wait a bit to see more results before posting. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Leslie Powell

Profile:

Crossfit features plenty of ring and regular dips, which should take care of things nicely for most people.