CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Joseph Matta

Profile:
24 in 24 a Crossfit Fundraiser (youtube trailers included)

Hey everybody! I am new to the forum, but I have been doing Crossfit for about 2 years at Crossfit No Surrender. I am writing with the hope that the CrossFit Community would be interested in supporting CrossFit No Surrender of Covington, Louisiana as we plan our third annual 24 in 24, a twenty-four hour fundraiser on June 7th and 8th 2014. I have attached a brochure and donation schedule for this event, including instructions for making 24 in 24 donations directly through the Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center website (We are still working on this with Mary B Perkins right now). If you guys want to do individual donations please let me know, as soon as that site is up and running I will provide an update with a link.

I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer almost three years ago, and, being an only child, I took it very hard. I had already lost my father to a heart condition when I was 21, so it was very difficult when she passed. The most inspiring thing I have ever seen was watching her fight back against the disease. She didn't want to just roll over and let the Cancer win; she wanted to live and beat it back. She fought for a year and half, and through it all we had ups and downs with her progress. Sadly, she lost her battle with cancer and passed away in April of 2011. I still have days when I wonder, What if, what if there was a break through, What if doctors found a cure?

While none of this has yet come to pass, folks still rally around to support research and support the doctors trying to find a cure. I want to be one of those people who supports fighters like my mom, who supports those who are trying to find an end to this war against cancer. The first year I raised only $1,000 for cancer research. However, while I was training for my fundraiser, I joined a CrossFit Gym, CrossFit No Surrender in Covington, Louisiana.

To my surprise, the gym owner, Shane Venezia, had a similar tale of heartbreak with his sister Renee, who was diagnosed with breast cancer while her husband was deployed in Afghanistan. Shane held a Fight Gone Bad fundraiser to help raise money for her medical expenses. In one morning, members from area affiliates came to perform the workout, and by the end of the day had raised over six thousand dollars.

The next year Shane decided to expand the fundraiser to support other patients, thus the event 24 in 24 was created. Since its inception almost two years ago, the charity event has raised $25,000, and members from the Crossfit Community have visited CrossFit No Surrender to perform WODS; some perfrom one or two, some partner up, and some perform them all. I have been proud to help set up this event every year, because of the personal meaning it has to me and to know that the money we have raised is giving some families a little bit better chance.

Our goal this year is to raise $30,000 for our charity. In the years past we have donated to Susan B Komen and CAGNO (Cancer Assistance of Greater New Orleans). However, this year we are donating all proceeds to Mary Bird Perkins, another local cancer organization in Louisiana. We would love to have your support and anything you can do to help us promote the event. This event is near and dear to a lot of the members of CrossFit No Surrender. A lot of our members have been impacted by cancer either through their friends, immediate family or extended family. About two years ago, the CrossFit regional office had someone do a story on the event. It was great press for Susan B. Komen and CrossFit No Surrender. We wanted to try to rally as much support in the local community as we could this year, because our goal is so much higher.

On a personal note, I would love to see this event expand and take a life of its own and become a regional or national CrossFit Fundraiser, because the idea is so unique (I equate it to the Ultra Marathons, Heavy Go Rucks, and other like events.) CrossFit is phenomenal in its ability to push people beyond what they thought was possible, and in that it matches the fight in so many cancer patients as they face their individual battles.

Youtube trailers for the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G4Pa3wBmX4 You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWLdIhMfCWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PByibVxW6o8

We would love any support you guys could give us, and I thank you for your consideration and please let me know if you have any question

Sincerely
Joseph Matta
Attached Files
File Type: pdf flyer v2.pdf (373.0 KB, 693 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Joseph Matta

Profile:
Re: 24 in 24 a Crossfit Fundraiser (youtube trailers included)

Logo for the Event...

Donation Link should be coming soon if you would like to donate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	13228  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Joseph Matta

Profile:

Good morning all... (LINK IS WORK AND FAMILY SAFE) (WFS)

Our online donation link just went live for 24 in 24...

If you are in Louisiana for June 7th and 8th, come stop by!

http://marybird.org/stph/24in24

Thank you all for your support!

Last edited by Joseph Matta; 03-03-2014 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Validating Links
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Joseph Matta

Profile:

All trailers are safe for work (WFS) Work and Family Safe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G4Pa3wBmX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWLdIhMfCWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PByibVxW6o8
Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Joseph Matta

Profile:

This push or quest for awareness takes hits very close to home for me, and all our support is very much appreciated. I have reach out to companies who work with our sport in the hopes they would donate. Crossfit has help me reach my personal goals and so much more and I will always appreciate the support they gave me during my first year of fundraising.

Here is my first video (WFS) that began my whole campaign and would eventually lead to me crossing paths with Shane and Crossfit No Surrender.

The war cry of every Cancer patient is "No Surrender"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdQJydgOgo (WFS)

Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Joseph Matta

Profile:

If anyone knows of any company's that would like to donate, please let me know. I have been traversing the internet trying to contact equipment distributors or suppliers of any kind and I haven't had much luck.

Thanks again!
- Joseph
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Joseph Matta

Profile:

Working on another Short Video ...that will be SFW...

Let me know if you all have any questions and any support you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #8
Joseph Matta

Profile:

Website for the fundraiser went live last week:

http://crossfitnosurrender.com/24in24/

(Link is Safe for work and family)