CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Ophthalmic Migraines

I have recently come to the conclusion, on my own, that I sometimes suffer from ophthalmic migraines. I consulted an eye doctor about this, they ran a bunch of tests and basically said I'm good to go.

The event has only occurred 3 times in my life, all of which have happened since beginning CrossFit. I mention this because I believe the very intense workouts can sometimes trigger this. For instance, the last only occurred after I last did Fran.

For anyone who doesn't know, an ophthalmic migraine is characterized by a temporary, partial loss of vision in one eye. The visual distortion, as I understand it, occurs differently for everyone but, for me, it appears as though there are high-speed scintillations in the periphery of my left eye. I have trouble reading and cannot see certain things in my periphery, depending on where my vision is focused. This may or may not be accompanied by a headache.

Anyway, I'm not really worried about it because I've researched the condition and it seems to be largely not dangerous. It's just scary and annoying. This happen to anyone else?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Ophthalmic Migraines

I've never heard of saccadic movement from exercising that's kinda weird.

Have you had any damage to your cerebellar or vestibular systems either from a trauma or ear infection or something along those lines before?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Negative.

The eye doctor has taken pictures and done tests and it turns out I have high pressure in some type of disc in my eye. He tells me that this is usually indicative of people who have or will develop glaucoma but, in my case, it appears to just be the way I was born. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Tish Traster

Profile:

My daughter, age 13 has suffered from ophthalmoplegic migraines for two years. She has had a total of three severe episodes in the past two years. She was diagnosed after a thorough exam by an ophthomologist and neruologist.

Her episodes seem to be triggered by a combination of fatigue (lack of sleep) and hunger. I have to make sure she eats frequently, stays well hydrated and well rested. She hasn't had an episode in almost a year!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Deb Weber

Profile:

I've had them. Four or five times last year, thought I was having a stroke the first time (I was working at the computer).
I thought I was looking AT something, then realized there was a light zigzagging IN my eye. Then I couldn't see anything but light in that eye, then I could see but in my peripheral vision was one of those flag banners like at a car lot? one end seemed to be tied in my eye and the other end far away, moving as if it was windy but it was made out of light.

Annoying as hell, whole episode lasted maybe 15 minutes tops? No pain.
Happened a couple times and stopped. I thought it was getting older. Somewhere I read older women can get them.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Tish Traster

Profile:

@Deb: What you are describing is EXACTLY what happens to my daughter. If you have another one, have someone look at your eye...to see if the pupil is dialated. My daughter's gets huge! Very scary to have these, but from everything the doctors say, her's are benign...sleep and stress related.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I believe they are more common in women than in men.

Deb, I didn't think I was having a stroke but I did think I was going blind and that was a horrible thought.

Tish, does your daughter have any pain to accompany hers? I get a very slight, dull headache.

Also, now that you mention it, mine could come from some level of dehydration as well. I drink a lot of milk and end to not drink enough water.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Tish Traster

Profile:

She has excruciating pain to the point of vomiting
Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Traster View Post
Oh, geeze, that's terrible.

I was a bit confused by the term ophthalmic migraine at first because they may not even have a headache with them at all. Strange. Well, at least you seem to have it under control now.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Deb Weber

Profile:

Quote:
I feel your pain .
I get regular migraines sometimes where the same thing happens, but no pain or nausea with these.
And, my daughter also gets them - which sucks. Id rather have it myself than watch and not be able to do anything.

Last edited by Deb Weber; 12-05-2010 at 11:18 AM..