CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Jerk Day

WOD from the Jerk 3 reps, 5 times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BctN9DBTXc (WFS)

I need to get my arms faster... I never got them really locked out before I loaded them (IMO)...

Comments welcomed and appreciated.

I JUST loaded it at 5:03pm CT so it might not be 'processed' yet.

Karin
Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: Jerk Day

Very good in general. You need to make sure you're not dipping forward and jumping the bar forward and away from you. And balance yourself evenly between the legs. You're a bit too far on your front leg.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Super, thanks...

I was trying to stay upright, but I definitely did NOT realize I had excess weight on my front foot.

Karin
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Really good in general, from that one angle.

The failure on the last lift looked like it started with the dip coming forward, then the drive coming even more forward. Try to recover front foot first every time until it's a habit. When you find yourself having to recover back foot first, then you'll know it because you were chasing a bar left out in front.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Really good in general, from that one angle.

The failure on the last lift looked like it started with the dip coming forward, then the drive coming even more forward. Try to recover front foot first every time until it's a habit. When you find yourself having to recover back foot first, then you'll know it because you were chasing a bar left out in front.
Sometimes I have to take what I can get (the angle that is..), but I will try to add more variety next time!

I will make sure to do some of the wall drill before doing jerks next time to make sure I am staying back/upright enough.

Thanks all!

(and I can never remember which stupid foot to move first, but I thought it was supposed to be the back one and not the front one???)

Last edited by Karin Jonczak; 09-08-2008 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Guest2

Profile:

Like everyone has said, you're letting the bar pull you forward. Really sit back on your heels throughout the dip and drive (the ankle extension will take care of itself). Think of driving the bar backward slightly. RE front foot, it's largely because you're pushing the bar forward, although you're also not splitting far enough. Focus on following through with the drive up more, i.e. drive the living **** out of the bar before you split, and think of lifting and pushing forward the heel of the front foot rather than the foot as a whole. Also, allow the back knee to bend more when you receive the weight - if the back knee is stiff, the only direction you can move is forward; if it's allowed to bend with the front knee, you can sink vertically under the bar to achieve the necessary depth without shifting your balance.

As far as which foot to move first, if you're talking about recovering, you want to step back partway with the front foot first and the remainder with the back foot. A sign of a good jerk is that you can immediately recover back. If you mean in the split itself, the back foot moves and reconnects first, but it's very subtle and generally you don't want to worry about that consciously unless it's a severe problem. Your front foot is hitting first or nearly so in that video, which is another indicator that your weight is forward during the lift.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

A lot of those jerks look pretty good... But Greg and others are exactly right when they mention that the dual problem of 1) letting the bar drift forward when dip and driving and 2) keeping the back leg too stiff, are what is causing some problems and what caused the miss.

Recovering with the front foot first is, in my opinion at least, very important when learning to jerk. When you recover that way, it forces you to have ended the split and catch of the bar with the weight where it is supposed to be. In my experience as a coach, I have seem many instances of simply FORCING a lifter to recover properly solve many other problems, including the ones you have, over the course of a workout or two.

One thing you might watch to "self coach" future training sessions, is the angle of you shin on the front foot, it should be vertical or very, very near it. If it is inclined forward, you are likely doing something wrong, one of the major reasons this happens is a stiff back leg.

Good luck in your lifting!

glenn
Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Adam Head

Profile:

One drill that I use to teach speed under the bar are Tall Jerks. Start with the bar at forehead level, then without dipping or jumping, jerk it. Just drive yourself into the CORRECT position. It doesn't do any good to learn the speed and have bad form in the receiving position of the jerk. It helps to have a mirror, or somebody watching you to make sure that you aren't pressing the bar up, but driving underneath and through it. Fast hands and fast feet. Start with the dowel, then loaded pvc, then a light bar, then a regular bar, then add a little weight. I don't let these get too heavy.

Hope that helps. (Got this from Coach B - it's really helped us get fast)
Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
RE front foot, it's largely because you're pushing the bar forward, although you're also not splitting far enough.

As far as which foot to move first, if you're talking about recovering, you want to step back partway with the front foot first and the remainder with the back foot.
Thanks for the info... I thought (while doing Grace at 97#, woohoo) that I wasn't splitting enough, so I am glad that some is verifying it!

I was speaking about the recovery foot.

Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
A lot of those jerks look pretty good... But Greg and others are exactly right when they mention that the dual problem of 1) letting the bar drift forward when dip and driving and 2) keeping the back leg too stiff, are what is causing some problems and what caused the miss.

Recovering with the front foot first is, in my opinion at least, very important when learning to jerk. When you recover that way, it forces you to have ended the split and catch of the bar with the weight where it is supposed to be. In my experience as a coach, I have seem many instances of simply FORCING a lifter to recover properly solve many other problems, including the ones you have, over the course of a workout or two.

One thing you might watch to "self coach" future training sessions, is the angle of you shin on the front foot, it should be vertical or very, very near it. If it is inclined forward, you are likely doing something wrong, one of the major reasons this happens is a stiff back leg.

Good luck in your lifting!

glenn
Thanks Glenn...

I am going to work on the forced front foot and some wall dips because I really did THINK I was staying upright (obviously my proprioreception is off!)

Never considered the back leg, but I think if I just split more that might take care of itself.

We will see!!

Karin