CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Garth Reed

Profile:
Since starting the Zone about 2 months ago, I have consistently taken weekends as "zone light". In other words, not every meal is in the zone and if the wife and I want to have some fun meals, I go for it. This has acted as a sanity check for a guy who loves food. The fat loss has been consistant but not as dramatic as when I am totally strict. Regardless, I am okay with it. However, this weekend, I went completely off the wagon. I had family in town and the guilt of going hog wild is killing me.

First, I am sure that it is okay to stray away for a few meals each week. Is that pretty common? Second, I have been really moody this weekend. Am I right in attributing that to diet? Third, should I be worried about any long term Zone impacts?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Yeah on / off can impact blood sugar/mood.

Long term impact? Yeah you might end up really healthy :-)

Also one you get a good sense of your macro nutrient needs but get tired of measuring everything check out the paleo diet.

Hope that helps
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Garth, shoot for 90% compliance. So about 6 cheat meals in a 2 week period...that ain't bad. Enjoy your off meals! One thing I would do though is don't have a complete off weekend. It's not so hard to have a good breakfast and a couple of good snacks throughout the day. This leaves room for 1 - 2 cheat meals in the day and you don't totally throw in the towel. Another thing to do that would help to blunt the impact would be to do the WOD right before the cheat meal...now some of those carbs and protein are being sucked up by the muscles.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Garth Reed

Profile:
Good words Larry! Thanks. I will definately take that approach.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
David Osorio

Profile:
Do any of you specifically construct cheat meals? Meaning do you try to include a pro/cho/fat in each meal or pretty much eat whatever you want? My favorite cheat meal is a sesame bagel with walnut/raisin cream cheese and a sugar free corn muffin. Pretty much All carbs. Will this throw me off big time or should i not sweat the cheat meals as long as they're few and far between. I generally tried to keep it to 2-3 a week and only on saturday night and sundays however im beginning to think that a days worth of crap is doing more physical harm than mental good.