CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Has anyone had any experience with the Bodybuilder version of NHE? If so, please share.

-Humilis
Old 09-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

This tends to be how I direct my eating. I have increased the frequency of carb load meal to about every 2 days but have decreased the amount of carbs in a feeding. When i have been able to eat 6 meals/day on this plan muscloe gain is ridiculously easy. When my meal frequency drops this plan mitigates muscle loss. I feel great and have good recovery between workouts.
Robb
Old 09-20-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Rob;

I am at around 10 percent bodyfat right now. Is that too high to begin the bodybuilder version of NHE (Should I get down to 7 percent first)? It's just, I am around 147 right now, so, I am already on the thin side.

-Jay
Old 09-21-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

This is an interesting question. John Berardi mentiones a great study in which individuals with a lower starting bodyfat level who switch to a hypercaloric diet add more muscle mass than those fols with higher bf levels. Coach will routinely bring male athletes down to around 5% and then start adding fat to the diet and thus increase the individuals muscle mass to an amazing degree.

All that said....I think going for the BB version is fine. You will likely lean out very rapidly and the cyclic low carb plan keeps insulin very tightly regulated. Keep an eye on your recovery after you have been on the plan for say a month. I have increased the frequency of carb loads to about every two days but have decreased the carbs in a feeding a bit. I do a load of work beyond Crossfit which is pretty anaerobic and demands a bit more frequent carb loads.

Keep me posted on how things progress.
Robb
Old 09-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Can someone fill me in here? What is NHE?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:57 PM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Kevin - Natural Hormone Enhancement. Fabulous book by Rob Faigin. Go to: www.extique.com for more info.

Rob - If my main goal is muscle mass. Should I utilize CrossFit to reach my goals or would I be better off following a more "bodybuilder" specific plan?

-Jay
Old 09-23-2003, 04:24 AM   #7
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Sounds to me sort of like a CKD with shortened cycles.. But I've never heard of one with muscle mass as the goal.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

Crossfit will put more muscle mass on you than any standard BB protocol...really.

Kevin-

You are right on and yes, one can add quite a bit of muscle on this plan. It is not magic...6+ meals per day, good sleep and reasonable training volume are still necessary but i have found the combination of Crossfit and NHE to be very effective.
Robb