CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
matthew ohl

Profile:  
just started using this product just wondering what everyones thoghts were on it?

funny but when i take it after workouts i get a real buzz and heaps of energy .

any one else??
Old 02-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matthew- that is funky! I have never experienced that....I have had good success with it for some inflamation I had. Sounds like a cool added feature!
Robb
Old 02-10-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
matthew ohl

Profile:  
yea it is very good with joints ive found as well
just thuoght i'de tell everyone anyway.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on Arnica gel? It's basically another treatment for inflammation, like MSM. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.
I actually ordered some, because a girl I do gymnastics with said it works pretty well. It was reasonably priced, so I figure all I have to lose is some wrist soreness.
Here is the product I ordered: http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/arniflora.html
I also decided to order some of these nutritional bars: http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/fruitbar.html
A little bit high in carbs, but at least it has some nutritional value (possibly synthetic though).
I also ordered some more Zyflamend and some weird sinus supplement: http://www.iherb.com/3spice.html
I figured it was worth paying $6 for because it put my order over $60, which means free shipping! They also cut off 6% more after I made the order because I'm a repeat customer.
So, I'm curious what you guys think of the Arnica gel?
Old 03-30-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Robert Tappan

Profile:  
Tyler,

I tried arnica a few years ago. Seemed to work for me. Dr. Weil just sent out an email recommending it. I couldn't find that, but here's something similar from his archives:

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=3071-pt=Qu estion

I wonder if Dit Da Jow would be benficial for the type of soreness you're getting?

BTW, thanks for that link to iHerb--great prices!! I got some cordyceps and b-2 (great migraine preventative) with some stuff for my wife at a bargain rate, plus the free shipping and "new customer" discount.

As for that sinus supplement, that's an ayurvedic company and those herbs are among those traditionally used to increase "internal fire" which should help with digestion, mucous, etc.

Best,
Robert
Old 03-30-2003, 09:09 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Tyler:

I've had some mild benefit from Arnica gel . . . worth the money I spent, but not a miracle cure.

I got better results when I coupled it with DMSO, but it may have been the DMSO that was doing more of the "heavy lifting", as it were, on the anti-inflammation front.

I posted some of this over on the "Injuries" section some time ago, and, as is often the case, Robb Wolf was able to help me understand why DMSO might have been doing some good.

Never tried the other stuff you describe.

Dave
Old 03-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Yeah, I remember that thread about DMSO. I'm not sure I want the side effects though:-) I think I'll try Arnica for a while and see how that goes, plus some Zyflamend. The problem isn't too severe, I just want to stay on top of it.
I have no idea about the sinus supplement. I was just looking for something in the $4-6 range so that I could get free shipping. If it works great, if not, at least I'll have something spicy. I've heard good things about the Garden of Life company though, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:34 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
MSM has none of the problems associated with DMSO.
Robb
Old 03-30-2003, 08:53 PM   #9
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Robb,
I'm taking a glucosamine/MSM supplement. Does it work the same when taken orally as opposed to the creme? And don't tell me to take it as a suppository, I'm too smart to fall for that one:-)
Is DMSO superior in any way? I would infer that it would work better as a creme because it is a solvent and would soak in better, but I really don't know anything about either one.
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Orally is superior from the research i have read. DMSO is converted into MSM so the only superiority I can see with DMSO is the ability to administer substances transdermally...this can obviously be bad if you have some lemon scent Pledge left on your hands from house cleaning! I'd stick with the supplement you are using. Jarrow formulas and Natural factors are good companies with descent prices. One can also buy these things in bulk and that really knocks the price down. I have taken up to 10g of MSM.day for some inflamatory problems I had previously. 1.5-3g/day of glucosamine is a good dosage.
robb