CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Kevin Jansen

Profile:
Cheap Paleo Bulking

Hello All.

I am currently trying to build some muscle/get bigger. I am eating paleo, and I don't have a lot of money to spend on loads and loads of food to bulk up any way I want.

Is there a cheap solution to gaining muscle mass on paleo? All the things I've read involve just upping portions, but those portions are already costing me more than I should really be paying for food.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Cheap Paleo Bulking

Rice, rice, and more rice. On e you get tired of eating rice, switch to arroz. LOL.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I'd add white potato to it, but make sure to peel the skin off.

OP, you still need protein to bulk, not just carbs. Cheap paleo source of protein is beef liver.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Kevin Jansen

Profile:

Thanks guys!

I know that an athlete eating paleo, especially one like me who is trying to do it on a diet, has to cheat a little. But isn't eating a lot of rice going to be pretty rough on me, as I'm eating pretty strict paleo right now?

I had a spoonful of peanut butter last night (something I used to down like crazy), and it didn't go down as gracefully as before (I'm guessing it's more of a comparison from being so clean now). I really enjoy the cleanliness of paleo, and don't want anything to affect me too much.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Rice is becoming more and more accepted in the Paleo circles, especially for athletes, unless your body doesn't tolerate rice.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Daniel Alderete

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Rice is becoming more and more accepted in the Paleo circles, especially for athletes, unless your body doesn't tolerate rice.
Why? I'm genuinely curious.

Paleo as I understand it is not about grains. So if rice gets a pass, why not oats? Corn?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

OK, let's just stop for a second here.

As far as I can understand, Paleo originated from removing what proponents of the diet believe are foods that the human body is not meant to be consuming.

It advocates removing gluten because some people have celiac disease. Dairy because some people are lactose intolerant. Legumes because the effect of "beans, beans, the magical fruit" is a type of food allergy, not to mention peanut allergies, etc. And so on, and so forth.

The idea being, more people are affected negatively by these foods than just those with the most severe, obvious allergies. So cut them all entirely out and see if you feel better.

What Paulo is getting at, is that there are some (many?) people that AREN'T sensitive to some or all of these foods. In that case, what exactly is the point of removing them from the diet?

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not follow the Paleo diet. I researched it a little over a year ago to determine if it would be appropriate for me and decided against it.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Why are you so concerned about remaining Paleo if you want to gain weight?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alderete View Post
Why? I'm genuinely curious.

Paleo as I understand it is not about grains. So if rice gets a pass, why not oats? Corn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
OK, let's just stop for a second here.

As far as I can understand, Paleo originated from removing what proponents of the diet believe are foods that the human body is not meant to be consuming.

It advocates removing gluten because some people have celiac disease. Dairy because some people are lactose intolerant. Legumes because the effect of "beans, beans, the magical fruit" is a type of food allergy, not to mention peanut allergies, etc. And so on, and so forth.

The idea being, more people are affected negatively by these foods than just those with the most severe, obvious allergies. So cut them all entirely out and see if you feel better.

What Paulo is getting at, is that there are some (many?) people that AREN'T sensitive to some or all of these foods. In that case, what exactly is the point of removing them from the diet?

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not follow the Paleo diet. I researched it a little over a year ago to determine if it would be appropriate for me and decided against it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Why are you so concerned about remaining Paleo if you want to gain weight?
See above. And for the record, I eat Paleo for the majority of the day until it is time to carb backload. That is when I have rice or other "evil" foods.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Kevin Jansen

Profile:

Well, I've already decided that I wanted to stay paleo. I've been eating paleo for 6 months after reading Robb Wolf's book and looking at a lot of his information. I am in school for Engineering, so the chemical/biology stuff he explained really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I understood that he knew what he was talking about, and everything he said made sense. After trying it, I've loved it and never wanted to go back. So now on the other side of the spectrum as an athlete, I want to gain strength and put a little muscle mass on. I've researched this on paleo websites, and have a general idea on how to do it (eat more protein, carbs post workout, keep fats up, among other things), but its hard for me to simply just increase all my intakes for monetary reasons. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Thanks for the responses!