CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Why the hate on high rep TGU for time?

I get tired of seeing these comments posted on main page every time there is a timed WOD with Turkish get ups in it.

Is this not the same BS folks threw around when Coach started prescribing high rep O lifts? Muscle ups? etc.?

I understand there is a skill element and concentration is important, but so it is with the deadlift, squat, snatch, tumble, HSPU....

I for one really enjoy the effect of doing 45 TGU for time with an unstable barbell. Can you get hurt if you do it wrong? Of course!
but the same goes for using a blender...

So what is the specific reason some ppl (I am assuming its the KB crowd) get their panties in a knot over this?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Why the hate on high rep TGU for time?

Have you seen what counts for a C&J or snatch? same thing will happen with a TGU. You can do TGU for time if you have a decent coach or you aren't a number obsessed jack ***. But doing TGU for time is not the same as doing pull ups for time or going all out on a 400. A very small screw up in form leads to a very big problem in the TGU. Yes, doing them as fast as you can safely is better than doing them slowly, but too many people sacrifice from for speed.

Also, why? THe tgu is supposed to teach full body tension and control. You lose that as you get into high reps.

I'm also not a fan of high rep full o-lifts as they are normally used in CF (30 reps broken up into singles or double would be fine). I have no problem with the power versions, but the full lifts are just silly.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Ian Nigh

Profile:

well, as someone else on this forum recently put it:
Stupid people can kill themselves doing anything
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Have you seen what counts for a C&J or snatch? same thing will happen with a TGU. You can do TGU for time if you have a decent coach or you aren't a number obsessed jack ***. But doing TGU for time is not the same as doing pull ups for time or going all out on a 400. A very small screw up in form leads to a very big problem in the TGU. Yes, doing them as fast as you can safely is better than doing them slowly, but too many people sacrifice from for speed.

Also, why? THe tgu is supposed to teach full body tension and control. You lose that as you get into high reps.

I'm also not a fan of high rep full o-lifts as they are normally used in CF (30 reps broken up into singles or double would be fine). I have no problem with the power versions, but the full lifts are just silly.
i agree 100%
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Thats true, but you shouldn't program an excersize which most people are going to do incorrectly in the first place.

I think "TGU with minimal resting" would suffice and get rid of alot of the crap that comes from "Every workout is a competition", which I also think is stupid.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
well, as someone else on this forum recently put it:
Stupid people can kill themselves doing anything
But some things cause more stupid things to happen than others.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

I tried searching but could not narrow it down enough to get a decent answer. I am sure the question has been asked before, but I wound up trying to wade through a ton of crap. Links would be appreciated.

Can someone explain the actual rationale behind high rep O-lifts, or at least long, extend sets, given that the muscles utilized in each lift fatigue at different rates, technique breakdown/skill deterioration secondary to fatigue, etc.?

I am a big fan of OL'ing, having started out competing in it many years ago, but this one literally baffles me.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
I get tired of seeing these comments posted on main page every time there is a timed WOD with Turkish get ups in it.

Is this not the same BS folks threw around when Coach started prescribing high rep O lifts? Muscle ups? etc.?

I understand there is a skill element and concentration is important, but so it is with the deadlift, squat, snatch, tumble, HSPU....

I for one really enjoy the effect of doing 45 TGU for time with an unstable barbell. Can you get hurt if you do it wrong? Of course!
but the same goes for using a blender...

So what is the specific reason some ppl (I am assuming its the KB crowd) get their panties in a knot over this?
I tend to agree with you. As an individual, I know I have to be familiar with the movement before I try it in a workout...I think this is in the FAQs...common sense/personal responsibility.

As a trainer to a client..same thing...teach the movement...scale as reqr. There is value in doing these relatively quickly.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Henrik Schou Pedersen

Profile:

IMO, endurance and stamina can be trained in about a gazillion different ways and exersizes. Why would I pick an exersize, where the risk of injury is high when I get fatigued? The risk/reward ratio simply isn't good enough with high rep o-lifts og TGU's for time.

Full O-lifts should be used to develop power
TGU's should be used to develop full body tension and kinesthetic awareness
10.000 other exersizes should be used for endurance and stamina.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

How often are TGU's on MP? I thought the other day was the first time, I could be wrong.

But trying to make sense of MP programming has been senseless for at least a year.