CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #81
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Diet on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
I could care less about food advice.
Then why are you wasting our time?

Quote:
An number fitness/doctors have said that the paleo stict diet lacks some nutrients that are gained through dairy.
Link please?

First, the idea that dairy contains essential nutrients that can't be obtained from other foods is ludicrous: that would mean that almost the entire population of Asia is malnourished, for starters.

Second, the idea that "eating like Grok" is nutritionally inadequate is also ludicrous: if humans couldn't thrive on the Paleolithic diet, we never would have survived the Paleolithic era.

Katherine
Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #82
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Many students I’ve met in my three years at NSWCEN have credited Stew’s books with helping them get through BUD/S.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #83
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Are you trying to build an army of strawmen

"because if you go to any 100% CF gym that dismiss anything else"
And how is this relevant? No one has mentioned CF for training for Spec Ops training except in reference to Mike Caviston who said it wasn't enough. WHy does it matter what a "100% CF gym" to the question of this diet advice?

" CF posters have said in the past that Mike Caviston (who helps run the Naval Special Warfare fitness program) is wrong"
Other CFers including HQ have. Non of them are posting here. ANd even if they had, the point is that the person who the job of training seals says this guy is incorrect. Mike Caviston, who is in that community, says Smith is wrong. THink about that for a second.

"I'm always open to try new things, but it seems like someone one here put stock in things that also in research have been found to unhealthy"
ANd the anecdotal evidence that we all have experinced is that the diet you are trying to emulate is wrong. It's not a paper telling us this, it's our bodies, the bodes of our friends, other CFers. DIet research as well as excersize science tends to have some of the worst research setups.

"An number fitness/doctors have said that the paleo stict diet lacks some nutrients that are gained through dairy. "
Think about that for just a second. No really, think about it. A large portion of the world is lactose intolerant, mainly cultures where it's warm and the east. THat means they CANNOT drink milk. Can't. ANd yet they seem to be doing alright. IN additon, cows have only been domesticated for about 10k years. and milk doesn't sotre well until you get refridgeration, which only happened a few decades ago. What did people do before then? huh. WHat about native americans who didn't domesticate livestock, inuits, polynesians (no cows on the island) or maoris (who are complete badasses).

"I find it funny that some posters say that Stew Smith may have a lack of experience or credential when some of the owners/runners of their CF gyms only attended a level cert course."
WHen did anyone compare Smith to a Level 1, CF gym owner or really anyone else?

ANd fine I'll bite, what are his credentials? Who taught him how to coach, how to program, diet, anything? Doing something is not the same as being able to teach it. Get that through your head. NFL players aren't great coaches, Rampage isn't a great coach, liddle isn't a great coach, Pisarenko isn't a great coach.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #84
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
Many students I’ve met in my three years at NSWCEN have credited Stew’s books with helping them get through BUD/S.

What was the point of taking that sentence (written by Mike Caviston, not you) out of the context of the rest of my post, without addressing anything else I posted?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #85
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

http://sealswcc.com/forum/topic.php?id=119 (wfs)

I haven’t met Stew Smith. I have a copy of his “The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness” and I’ve checked out his web page a few times, but I don’t claim to have mastered every nuance of his program. I’ve talked to many candidates and BUD/S students who tell me they have benefited from Stew’s materials. Stew is of course a former SEAL and has experienced BUD/S from the inside, but is not affiliated with NSW. Those of us currently working at the Center have the advantage of knowing what is demanded of today’s BUD/S students, have access to data on performance and injuries of recent students, and can give advice accordingly.

Stew Smith organizes his program according to many training principles I strongly endorse. It is BUD/S-specific and is formatted progressively across several activities for the duration of the program, which is all good. Jonathan draws attention to some specific aspects of the program, so let me address those.

I strongly encourage the inclusion of resistance training (weight lifting) as preparation for BUD/S. Calisthenics are necessary but not sufficient by themselves. I’ve provided some basic guidelines for strength training a few times, and I’m working on developing more comprehensive guidelines that should answer all questions related to strength training. Summarizing my basic recommendations, I suggest 1-2 sets of a combination of single- and multi-joint exercises using both free weights and machines. Most of the sets should be in the 8-12 rep range with occasional sets in a lower (3-6) or higher (15-20) rep range. Choose exercises that work opposing muscle groups in multiple planes (side-to-side and rotation, not just front-to-back). Lift in a controlled manner, always completing each rep through the full range of motion and emphasizing the negative (eccentric) portion of the lift. Do not attempt complicated or technical exercises (kettlebells, Olympic lifts) without proper coaching and supervision. For more information on resistance training, see this article by the American College of Sports Medicine, “Progression Models in Resistance Training”:

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fu...ng_for.26.aspx

Regarding Hypoxic Swimming: this is technically different from underwater breath-hold swimming, since it involves holding your breath while swimming on the surface. I’m not sure it is any safer, so I would discourage it. (Note that underwater breath-hold swimming is EXPRESSLY forbidden except during the highly supervised evolutions conducted by qualified Instructors.) Even if safety wasn’t an issue, I question the effectiveness of hypoxic training. The best way to deprive your muscles of oxygen is simply to go faster. I could go on at length with a technical discussion, but short answer, I don’t support the use of hypoxic training for BUD/S.

The Run/Swim/Run concept (or at least Run/Swim or Swim/Run) is valid and effective. For advanced followers of the NSW Physical Training Guide, it becomes necessary to run and swim on the same days a couple times a week to get in the prescribed LSD mileage. But I wouldn’t encourage the format for beginners.

As for flutter kicks, as I’ve written several times when answering other questions, I would definitely incorporate them as well as lunges into prep for BUD/S. Stew Smith describes several useful PT exercises and I would encourage you to do them all occasionally for general conditioning and a little variety. I think Stew’s recommendations for sets and reps tend to be a little excessive, though certainly possible if you build your volume properly. For me, it is a question of the best use of time, which is often a limited resource. The amount of time you spend doing calisthenics has to be balanced with the time you spend running, swimming, lifting, stretching, cross-training, etc. But use your own judgment if the routines appeal to you and you have the time.

Let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any other questions.

Mike Caviston
Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

This was taken from SEAL/SWCC. Mr. Caviston agrees with a good portion of the approach of Stew Smith's programs. One of the things that he points out that are flaws is the non-inclusion of weights, the hypoxic swimming, and the time management of huge sets of PT. Stew Smith himself will tell you that you can use weights in addition to his program and also has created a Grinder PT program that includes weights.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #86
Shane Skowron

Profile:

That post was from six months ago. The one I posted was from 1 week ago and elaborated on all of the above points.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #87
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
That post was from six months ago. The one I posted was from 1 week ago and elaborated on all of the above points.
Not only that, but this went from a post about a diet plan to looking for ways to validate him that have nothing to do with diet at all. I don't know Stew, don't have anything against him or for him. But like it's been said REPEATEDLY, if his program is great, DO IT. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If it works, the proof will be in the pudding. Coach's quote in the 2010 "Let the Games Begin" video, will fit with a little editing on my part:

There are people out there that say [...] there are diets out there BETTER than the ones presented here [on the boards]. Great. Prove it.

You get to be the guinea pig. Get to work!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #88
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

WHy the hell are we talking about Smith's training plan, I thought was diet?