CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Getting lean. Basic dietary principles to follow.

I recently made a blog post about how I go about setting up nutrition plans.

The most important part about this is being able to adjust your diet based on results or lack thereof.

The post is made up of knowledge acquired through a combination of personal experience, experience with dozens of personal clients, and countless studies and articles. Hope it helps.

This is not medical advice, just what I'd do:

http://crossfitcc.com/2010/04/28/get...r/#comment-170 W/F/S
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Re: Getting lean. Basic dietary principles to follow.

goes against most of what robb wolf says regarding getting lean.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
goes against most of what robb wolf says regarding getting lean.
That's Cool. But it works.

Maybe be more specific?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
John Jaeckel

Profile:

I'll try to be more specific. I generally agree with a lot of your recommends.

A couple of things though. I am not a trainer or a nutritionist, but I have some "training" in both and a lot of personal experience of my own and anecdotal experience from others.

I follow Robb and have read Enter The Zone, Mark Sisson's stuff, the Warrior Diet (which has some marginal merit) and others.

I think your daily carb intake recommend is high for most people not doing 20 minute plus CF WODs 5x a week.

Robb recommends much less. I personally have found at 200 pounds, 150g/d of carbs or less works for me in losing weight in a steady manner. I have found when I go into ketosis at 75-100g/d or less, that the fat literally falls off me, while I feel incredibly energetic and strong. My breath is wretched, but i'll take it.

Another thing, while you recommend fish oil supplements, which are fine, the better way to optimize your ratio of Omega 3:Omega 6, as well as the quality of your overall fat intake, is to eat wild fish and game, pastured meat/free range chicken and eggs for as much of your protein as possible.

Arbitrarily saying "eat protein at every meal" can mean soy protein, for example (which is estrogenic, and can trigger food sensitivities and inflammation).

Our bodies were evolved to thrive on natural protein and fat sources.

And the thing you really can't—shouldn't—argue with is evolution and human metabolism.

Many early humans, the ancestors of most Eurasians, lived and evolved in the Northern Hemisphere for at least 1 million years, where 4-6 months out of the year they had limited, if any, access to carbohydrates. Next January, go camping in the woods for a few days and see how many carbs you can scrounge.

For hundreds of thousands of years, year after year. Those whose metabolisms could thrive on fat and protein survived longer than those whose couldn't. And they reproduced more often, handing those traits down to future generations. Including us.

And Robb is absolutely right about one thing (among others): the body's two primary sources of energy are carbohydrate and fat. Give it more of one and less of the other, and it will burn the one you give it more of.

I have gradually reduced my intake of carbs, and upped my intake of healthy fats, over the last 8 months. I would say of late, my fat intake is 50-60%, carbs and protein, 15-25% each depending on the day.

And as I've done that, I've seen my rate of fat loss increase dramatically, while my daily calories burned (as I've switched to more of a CFSB style program— Wendler 5/3/1 specifically) has arguably decreased.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Jarrett Link

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
That's Cool. But it works.

Maybe be more specific?
You said it yourself!

Nutrition and dieting aren't exactly new literary frontiers-- why bother to author vague article that is void of any cited sources?

Why are your guidelines any better than Cordain's, Sisson's, Wolf's, or Sears'(ss's's's's)?

Off to eat a pound of celery,
Jarrett
Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Many early humans, the ancestors of most Eurasians, lived and evolved in the Northern Hemisphere for at least 1 million years, where 4-6 months out of the year they had limited, if any, access to carbohydrates. Next January, go camping in the woods for a few days and see how many carbs you can scrounge.
Several species of bark and pine cones are edible. Cedar bark was a staple for Pacific Northwest tribes, for example.

Many different fruits and tubers keep well in cold storage and therefore would have been available out of season.

The hungriest time of year for most hunter gatherers and subsistence farmers is early spring, not winter. Fall stores are nearing exhaustion, but new growth hasn't started yet.

Katherine
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:

I think you guys are being a little harsh. This is a solid article with good advice. As the title says he wanted to write about "basic" principles to follow. Not everyone wants to hear about kertosis and insulin when seeking a general dietary guideline.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Greg Privitera

Profile:

On evolutionary "biology" (in quotes because this assumes it's a proper science, which it really isn't, at least not yet):

Also, guess what! We live in 2010. Maybe they would have been better off if they had access all year round. Certainly some cultures did.

So you could spend a lot of time looking through your DNA, attempting to trace your ancestry back to a specific region.

Or you could do what works, now.

On Soy:

Agreed, mistakenly left that section out. Some minimally processed forms of soy seem to be fine though, especially for certain populations. I don't touch it, personally.

On vagueness:

I'm giving pretty specific macronutrient prescriptions.

On why it's better than other sources:

I never said it was....here is why i think it is useful, though: this is all in one place, in one post, and combines a lot of information together in an easy (at least it seems to me and others i know) to follow format. And it WILL work.

On why the carbs aren't super low:

I touched on this, but studies have shown that there's no significant difference between ~30g/day and 150g/day if protein remains constant. If you didn't lose weight its because your calories were too high, not your insulin levels. You are absolutely going to be using at least 100 carbs/day, especially if you're exercising. Bottom line is you're increasing your protein more than you have to to make up for the lack of carbs. Which is great, if that's what you prefer. But it's not what I would recommend as a baseline, that's an adjustment to be made based on biofeedback or personal preference.

Additionally, it should be notice that I'm recommending that starchy carbs be kept to pre-workout and otherwise should be eaten in the form of vegetables as much as possible. Insulin levels throughout the rest of the day would stay quite low.

Thanks for the feedback.

And in general, I'm not going to give much thought to any caveman stories. Sorry. And yes I've eaten paleo for an entire year before. Strict.

Last edited by Greg Privitera : 04-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett Link View Post
Off to eat a pound of celery,
Jarrett
While I mistakenly didn't but certainly could have offered a list of vegetables, you're going to get quite tired of eating a pound of celery per day before that's going to do anything harmful.

When this happens, How about things we all know are good for us, like:

Broccoli
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Carrots
Spinach
Brussels sprouts
Green beans

That might keep you going for a while.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
[u]On evolutionary "biology" (in quotes because this assumes it's a proper science, which it really isn't, at least not yet):
Though this is bound to open a huge friggin can of worms (paleo-friendly) I agree.

I think it's pretty well written Greg, and as you said, it's good especially for someone who hasn't read 70 books on Paleo or Zone and already actively posting on this site. I wish I had read this 3 years ago. It would have shortened a lot of my searching for me.

That said, I have a question. I am not paleo, I'd say more like a strict Zone (could be stricter at times), so I do eat oats, beans, etc. Why is it that you recommend other carbs " Oats, wild rice, beans, quinoa, buckwheat, etc." over fruits? I'm assuming it's because of the sugar content of the fruit. Now many would lead me to believe that oatmeal is bad for me, but an apple is better. I never understood that because if I'm eating the same number of carbs and the fruit is higher on the glycemic index, then it seems like the oats are a better choice. Any thoughts on where you draw the line for both fruits and non-fruit carbs?