CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #21
Christie Warner

Profile:
Re: Saturated Fats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Conventional wisdom says the sky is blue. I however think that our eyes are playing a trick on us and not reading color correctly due to "the man" telling us that the sky is blue. I think our brains have played a very powerful trick on us. If we stop believing this conventional wisdom laid on us by "the man" then our eyes will finally see clearly and we will see that the sky is in fact purple.
I know this flies in the face of convetional wisdom, but you believe me right?
No, I would ask you if you are on crack. There is a difference between your scenario and my rule of thumb concerning nutrition and other personal beliefs of mine. But, I'm a contrarian :-)
Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #22
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Lawson View Post
No, I would ask you if you are on crack. There is a difference between your scenario and my rule of thumb concerning nutrition and other personal beliefs of mine. But, I'm a contrarian :-)
Conventional wisdom says that crack is bad for you.
I have found that it actually makes you much stronger and a better person overall. Haven't you ever seen the Dave Chapelle skits? Crack can make you lift a bus!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Conventional wisdom says that crack is bad for you.
I have found that it actually makes you much stronger and a better person overall. Haven't you ever seen the Dave Chapelle skits? Crack can make you lift a bus!
lmao. Yeah, and apparently, weed is really not all that bad either compared to other drugs. But the government will not legalize it... more than likely because other prescription meds will fall by the wayside. Thus, a huge LOSS of $$. Just as a disclaimer, I am in no way supporting the use of weed in any shape or fashion :-) Just pointing out an interesting national issue.

Last edited by Christie Warner : 03-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
lmao. Yeah, and apparently, weed is really not all that bad either compared to other drugs. But the government will not legalize it... more than likely because other prescription meds will fall by the wayside. Thus, a huge LOSS of $$.
The majority of people I talk to say that weed isn't bad for you and think it should be legal. I rarely meet anyone that does hold the belief that it is bad.
But I'm not talking about weed. I'm talking about crack. Has the government lied to us all these years telling us how bad crack, meth, cocaine and heroin are?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #25
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
lmao. Yeah, and apparently, weed is really not all that bad either compared to other drugs. But the government will not legalize it... more than likely because other prescription meds will fall by the wayside. Thus, a huge LOSS of $$. FYI, I am in no way supporting the use of weed in any shape or fashion :-)
I think a strong (and legitamate) argument can be made in favor of its use. However, I'm at work and on my lunch break. No time to go link hunting!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
The majority of people I talk to say that weed isn't bad for you and think it should be legal. I rarely meet anyone that does hold the belief that it is bad.
But I'm not talking about weed. I'm talking about crack. Has the government lied to us all these years telling us how bad crack, meth, cocaine and heroin are?
I think it's clear that crack is not just "bad" because the government says it is...people kinda like...die from it's use and/or suffer huge consequences as a result of chronic use. lol. But you can always write letters to the federal government concerning these questions. Honestly, we have sorta hijacked the thread big time and it probably needs to die now.

John, that could be very true! :-)
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #27
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

How about instead of being contrarian or just following along, you spend some time reading the studies that support particular arguments and see if you agree with the methodology and the conclusions derived from the results? Does that work?

Whether contrarian or following along, your opinions are still dictated by common though, either in agreement or in opposition.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
How about instead of being contrarian or just following along, you spend some time reading the studies that support particular arguments and see if you agree with the methodology and the conclusions derived from the results? Does that work?

Whether contrarian or following along, your opinions are still dictated by common though, either in agreement or in opposition.
Good point. Essentially, the scientific method.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #29
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Scientific method combined with personal responsibility and education; does it get any better than that, at least for a democratic capitalist society.

And no, I do not know who John Galt is.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #30
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Quote:
It's good for you. Eat it. Plus, women love a man with T. =)
Sorry gents, I know that all of the links you posted could help me form a more nuanced and knowledgeable opinion, but, instead, I'm just taking Christie at her word. When a fit woman says that women like the testosterone, well, there it is. I'm about to eat a dozen egg yolks. Christie, you had me at "Eat fat." )

P.S. How did this turn into a discussion about drugs?