CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Mario Coss

Profile:
Dynamic Duo: Crossfit + Raw Vegan Diet

I think many people doing Crossfit tend to go with the paleo diet. I think that's great, because the stress on elimination of grains, and eating WHOLE FOODS.

I have had great success with a raw vegan diet, consuming massive amounts of fresh fruits as my energy source. For instance 20 bananas, 2 apples, 3 mangoes, 1 large salad and some nuts each day.

While this is "not for everyone," it can work.

In general I don't like the way many raw vegan exercises are based on these marathons/long races/jogging everyday until you are depleted of all your energy for no reason. But I love the diet and how quick it helps me recover.

On the flip side I think Crossfit is probably the best type of exercise (along with the occasional game of basketball ), but I don't think the paleo approach is best for muscle healing and for improving recovery time. For instance my recover times after doing a "Filthy Fifty" exercise regimen, or a 30 minute super-intense Crossfit workout are around 24 hours. Never more than 36 hours before I am right back to feeling completely recovered.

Anyway, has anyone else had such success with Crossfit on a vegan based diet with no processed foods or grains?

Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Dynamic Duo: Crossfit + Raw Vegan Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Coss View Post
For instance 20 bananas, 2 apples, 3 mangoes, 1 large salad and some nuts each day.
Wow, it gave me the runs just reading that j/k

How do you find your strength does with so little protein though. That seems to be one of the main problems with a vegan diet. (not to mention the sugar you're ingesting with that much fruit)

I've never tried eating that way, but I know how my body reacts when eating too much fruit.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Charles Staley

Profile:

Mario, given the fact that protein and fat are both essential nutrients, added to the fact that carbohydrate is a non-essential nutrient, I've never been able to understand why someone would deliberately choose a diet low in the former and high in the latter. Then you remove the cooking process, which further reduces the nutritional value of the already non-nutritious food you're eating, and it leaves me wondering how you define "great success." But maybe that's just me...

Quote:
I think many people doing Crossfit tend to go with the paleo diet. I think that's great, because the stress on elimination of grains, and eating WHOLE FOODS.

I have had great success with a raw vegan diet, consuming massive amounts of fresh fruits as my energy source. For instance 20 bananas, 2 apples, 3 mangoes, 1 large salad and some nuts each day.

While this is "not for everyone," it can work.

In general I don't like the way many raw vegan exercises are based on these marathons/long races/jogging everyday until you are depleted of all your energy for no reason. But I love the diet and how quick it helps me recover.

On the flip side I think Crossfit is probably the best type of exercise (along with the occasional game of basketball ), but I don't think the paleo approach is best for muscle healing and for improving recovery time. For instance my recover times after doing a "Filthy Fifty" exercise regimen, or a 30 minute super-intense Crossfit workout are around 24 hours. Never more than 36 hours before I am right back to feeling completely recovered.

Anyway, has anyone else had such success with Crossfit on a vegan based diet with no processed foods or grains?

Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Taking 24-36 hours to recover from a workout would tell me that i needed to find a better way to recover.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Norman Tasfi

Profile:

Quote:
but I don't think the paleo approach is best for muscle healing and for improving recovery time. For instance my recover times after doing a "Filthy Fifty" exercise regimen, or a 30 minute super-intense Crossfit workout are around 24 hours. Never more than 36 hours before I am right back to feeling completely recovered.

Like Casey said don't you think that is a lousy recovery time? Look at all the game competitors doing wod after wod, I don't think a single one of them eats vegan, let alone a raw vegan diet. They would crash and burn on something like that. Do you have any moral reservations about eating meat or just trying this diet? If you have time check out robb wolfs podcast and write ups on this stuff, he if I remember correctly, was a vegan too at one point in time and now eats paleo.
M/5'8"/160/19, Press 140 3x5, Deadlift 380 - 2x5, Squat 240 - 3x5, Snatch 135x2, Clean & Jerk 195, Murph ~36:00, Helen 8:57, FGB 338, Cindy 26.5

Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
I don't think the paleo approach is best for muscle healing and for improving recovery time.
Have you tried Paleo? Robb Wolf has tried many diets, including vegan, and he found that Paleo is the best, along with alot of other people (myself included). I just don't see how you are going to build any amount of significant muscle with a small amount of protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
Taking 24-36 hours to recover from a workout would tell me that i needed to find a better way to recover.
+1. After about two hours or so I'm ready to roll, regardless of the workout I did.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
winner winner chicken dinner

Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Casey Crooks

Profile:

in all fairness if you are trying to live a vegan lifestyle for ethical reasons you can do it and succeed with crossfit and athletics. just not the way you are eating... more protein! robb and mark have written about paleo vegans somewhere... i just cant find it.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

This thread will not end well.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
This thread will not end well.
You could be right.

I don't care enough about the diet wars to get into which diet is better than which. The only reason that I weighed in on this one was the recovery time issue. 24-36 hours wouldn't cut it for me. Even if I don't need to be fully recovered within 24 hours, I want to be.

- Mark

Closed Thread