CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #21
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Can normal veggies (non-organic, with pesticides) be eaten raw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
When I was a kid there was no such thing as hand sanitizer. I still refuse to use it now as I think it is ridiculous. I also have never had a flu shot.

I think kids get more sick BECAUSE of this silliness. Their bodies don't have a chance to build up natural immunity. I was very rarely sick as a child and I probably also washed my hands as little as I could get away with and ate stuff off the floor ha ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Probably true. I think there was a study recently that found kids from farms and other rural environments get sick less often, have less incidence of asthma, etc. Of course some of that might also be related to higher activity levels, more sunshine/vitamin D, etc.

Katherine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crookston View Post
I'm with ya 100%. No hand sanitizer in our house, thank you. None of us get flue shots either. We do quick-rinse our fruits and veggies, but that's just to get off the dust 'n dirt so they taste a little better.
echo....echo...echoooo... Same here

The sickest season my kids have had in recent years was when they were in competitive gymnastics, stuck for days at t time in a gym full of people.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Just to add to what has already been said, there is actually very little difference between organic and non-organic fruits and veg. The main difference is in the price and that is about the only real difference. For the most part, supermarket "organics" come from mega "organic" factory farms and are nutritionally the same as non-organic fruits and veg. In fact the term has no real meaning or qualification. It is really just a marketing tool and it has been quite effective.

Buy local. That is about the only way to ensure that your produce is the kind of "organic" you are actually looking for. Otherwise, save a few bucks and buy the regular stuff.
It is NOT a marketing tool.......I would agree with you on the 'supermarket organics'.....But if you have any understanding of farming then it is very clear that a well raised organic product is going to be superior to its conventional counterpart.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
Mike Mallory

Profile:

To the OP, the pesticides are inherent in the whole product, they can't be washed off......

Cooking does not necessarily destroy the pesticide; it may destroy it, alter it, or not affect it.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
To the OP, the pesticides are inherent in the whole product, they can't be washed off......
Not necessarily true. Surface residue can be washed off. Stuff incorporated from the soil can't.

Katherine
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Not necessarily true. Surface residue can be washed off. Stuff incorporated from the soil can't.

Katherine
right, what she said

Last edited by Mike Mallory : 11-10-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
Ed Walto

Profile:

Eat it. I'm still here and been eatin them for years.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #27
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

how can a community that keeps pressuring paleo diet down everybody throat say non-organic veggies = organic veggies.

Im sorry but this is ridiculous.

Chemicals not only are bad for you, they also act as estrogen promoters.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
how can a community that keeps pressuring paleo diet down everybody throat say non-organic veggies = organic veggies.

Chemicals not only are bad for you, they also act as estrogen promoters.
Because of this reason maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Just to add to what has already been said, there is actually very little difference between organic and non-organic fruits and veg. The main difference is in the price and that is about the only real difference. For the most part, supermarket "organics" come from mega "organic" factory farms and are nutritionally the same as non-organic fruits and veg. In fact the term has no real meaning or qualification. It is really just a marketing tool and it has been quite effective.

Buy local. That is about the only way to ensure that your produce is the kind of "organic" you are actually looking for. Otherwise, save a few bucks and buy the regular stuff.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post

I agree. If you want to up your food quality, then going organic is a step in that direction. But even the USDA states there is no difference between the two. I feel they have to say this because that would be acknowledging that non-organic food is "bad". Though I am not a farmer, and have a hard time understanding the different types of pesticides allowed/no allowed, I buy almost all organic. I am lucky enough to get it cheaper than the stores because I sought out a local grower that runs a buisiness out of her house.

I DO understand those of us that have been living this long without 'certified organic' just feel it doesn't matter. I think most are just afraid of the price, and then somehow justify there's no difference. If it were the SAME price, which would you choose? and why would you choose it? If I had children, I would ensure that everything in their mouth is the best quality stuff.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #30
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

The amount of trace pesticides you get from raw vegetables is extremely small. It's like weighing and elephant and then putting a tooth brush on top of the elephant and re-weighing it. There's not much difference at all.

You get more carcinogens in one barbequed hamburger than you do in a lifetime of eating non-organic vegetables.