CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Re: Can normal veggies (non-organic, with pesticides) be eaten raw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Sometimes I don't even wash stuff I like to think of it as building up my immunity.
Same here.. well I always rinse but never too thoroughly. How does the saying go? God made dirt and dirt don't hurt. As far as the bacteria, I want to have a little bit of exposure to keep my immune system up to date. Otherwise it would be like running an old version of Norton on your computer and never doing any live updates

As far as pesticides, I probably get more exposure to chemicals from 2nd hand smoke after a night of clubbing so I'm not too worried about it.

We need to stop being such wussies. [not directed @ the OP of course]. We need to stop being so overprotective of our children. Wiping their hands w/sanitizer or moist towlettes you've hoarded from your KFC escapades at ten minute intervals while they play at playgrounds with other kids is pretty absurd.

LET them get sick once in a while! Sure, it's an inconvenience to you for a few days but it'll benefit THEM. Any parent who loves his/her child would gladly inconvenience him/herself a bit for the child's benefit.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Laura Kurth

Profile:

When I was a kid there was no such thing as hand sanitizer. I still refuse to use it now as I think it is ridiculous. I also have never had a flu shot.

I think kids get more sick BECAUSE of this silliness. Their bodies don't have a chance to build up natural immunity. I was very rarely sick as a child and I probably also washed my hands as little as I could get away with and ate stuff off the floor ha ha
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Lol, what was that line from George Carlin? "And we never got sick because we swam in RAW SEWAGE!"
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I think kids get more sick BECAUSE of this silliness. Their bodies don't have a chance to build up natural immunity.
Probably true. I think there was a study recently that found kids from farms and other rural environments get sick less often, have less incidence of asthma, etc. Of course some of that might also be related to higher activity levels, more sunshine/vitamin D, etc.

Katherine
Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Yong Yi Xiang View Post
But when you guys eat raw veggies, do you have the taste of something like a bitter, mint-like taste? Especically green leaft veggies? It's a yucky taste heh
Many green leafy veggies have a slight bitter taste naturally.

*shrug* If they taste better cooked, eat them cooked.

Katherine
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
adam adkins

Profile:

Just to add to what has already been said, there is actually very little difference between organic and non-organic fruits and veg. The main difference is in the price and that is about the only real difference. For the most part, supermarket "organics" come from mega "organic" factory farms and are nutritionally the same as non-organic fruits and veg. In fact the term has no real meaning or qualification. It is really just a marketing tool and it has been quite effective.

Buy local. That is about the only way to ensure that your produce is the kind of "organic" you are actually looking for. Otherwise, save a few bucks and buy the regular stuff.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
Matthew Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Probably true. I think there was a study recently that found kids from farms and other rural environments get sick less often, have less incidence of asthma, etc. Of course some of that might also be related to higher activity levels, more sunshine/vitamin D, etc.

Katherine
Lower population density (fewer people to pass things around) and (for the most part) less environmental pollution as well.

Given the air quality of urban areas, I'd put the latter rather high on any list.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
When I was a kid there was no such thing as hand sanitizer. I still refuse to use it now as I think it is ridiculous. I also have never had a flu shot.

I think kids get more sick BECAUSE of this silliness. Their bodies don't have a chance to build up natural immunity. I was very rarely sick as a child and I probably also washed my hands as little as I could get away with and ate stuff off the floor ha ha
I'm with ya 100%. No hand sanitizer in our house, thank you. None of us get flue shots either. We do quick-rinse our fruits and veggies, but that's just to get off the dust 'n dirt so they taste a little better.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
Jeff Kinsel

Profile:

Here's an article about a study that was done by the U.S. Department of Agriculture on which fruits and vegetables contain the most pesticides even after being washed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13737389/page/2/ (WFS)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Only two things that we can't seem to avoid. Death and taxes and I'm working on dodging one of them.
I'm telling the IRS on you.