CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Sam Walker

Profile:
Paleo: the best diet bar none.

I'm just trying the 30-day Paleo diet. I don't know too much about nutrition, but I'm struggling to see any problems with the Paleo diet as put forward by Loren Cordain. I'm also struggling to find any better alternatives.

So, are there any flaws in it?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Paleo: the best diet bar none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
I'm just trying the 30-day Paleo diet. I don't know too much about nutrition, but I'm struggling to see any problems with the Paleo diet as put forward by Loren Cordain. I'm also struggling to find any better alternatives.

Sam;

Give it 30 days, don't over think it, see how your body reacts. You ask for flaws and alternatives, you're going to get 100 different replies, it won't make your decision any easier.
Read the book, eat the foods(and don't eat the foods), train, sleep, repeat.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

There is nothing essential in grains, legumes or dairy that can not be consumed from meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. So you won't find any nutritional flaws in the Paleo diet.

The only flaw I can see is that you are cutting off a wide variaty of foods which most of us are used to consume and are very tasty (I love dairy and fresh bread). My advice would be go for 30 days 100% strict. witness for yourself how much this diet alters energy levels, mood, joint pain, fatloss for you. Then, if you find it appealing or beneficial add in the smallest amount of "cheats" that you can get away with so that you don't feel deprived.
For me, it's some bread if it came out of the oven and some Ice cream/yogurt. probably around two "cheats" per week will keep me on the wagon the rest of the time.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post

There are flaws in every diet, the Okinawans eat too much salt for example, so the question is do the diets inherant flaws conflict with your goals?

If you're leading a fairly sedentary life for example you'll do fine on Cordains Paleo Diet as the lack of starchy carbohydrates won't affect you. If however you're quite physically active you'll soon run into problems due to depleted glycogen stores caused by the lack of starchy carbs. Cordain could easily have addressed this point by stating that physically active types should eat more starchy carbs than couch potatoes but then he wouldn't have been able to profit from sales of the badly written mess that is Paleo Diet for Athletes would he?

Alternatives to Cordains Paleo Diet -

* Buy A Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean or similar, follow the advice therein substituting paleo foods for the grains, dairy and legumes they advise you to eat.

* Buy The Okinawa Program by Bradley J. Willcox, increase the portion sizes (it's a calorie restricted diet) to suit your needs omitting the rice and soy if you want to make it a little more paleo.

* Take your copy of The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, find where it says to avoid starchy cabs and write in "unless you are physically active". You might want to underline it for emphasis too.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
There are flaws in every diet, the Okinawans eat too much salt for example, so the question is do the diets inherant flaws conflict with your goals?

If you're leading a fairly sedentary life for example you'll do fine on Cordains Paleo Diet as the lack of starchy carbohydrates won't affect you. If however you're quite physically active you'll soon run into problems due to depleted glycogen stores caused by the lack of starchy carbs. Cordain could easily have addressed this point by stating that physically active types should eat more starchy carbs than couch potatoes but then he wouldn't have been able to profit from sales of the badly written mess that is Paleo Diet for Athletes would he?

Carbs don't have to be starchy to refuel glycogen stores. Robb Wolf, Cordain, and others recommend post-WOD sweet potatoes or yams which do provide plenty of carbs and starch, but if you eat an apple, banana, or handful of berries a few times a day in addition to all the other vegetables you're eating you'll be fine. Fruits contain starch when they're not ripe, but most of the starch converts to glucose, fructose, and other sugars as they ripen. So there's some starch there, just not a lot.

Your liver can still produce some glycogen in the absence of carb intake, and unless you're doing 2-a-days on your workouts the 24 hours or so between WODs is enough time to refuel for the next day.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post

Alternatives to Cordains Paleo Diet -

* Buy A Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean or similar, follow the advice therein substituting paleo foods for the grains, dairy and legumes they advise you to eat.

* Buy The Okinawa Program by Bradley J. Willcox, increase the portion sizes (it's a calorie restricted diet) to suit your needs omitting the rice and soy if you want to make it a little more paleo.

* Take your copy of The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, find where it says to avoid starchy cabs and write in "unless you are physically active". You might want to underline it for emphasis too.
Holy crap, Darryl...

This is the best (read: fair, most unbiased and non-argumentative) post I've seen you write. Thanks for this It made my Monday
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Holy crap, Darryl...

This is the best (read: fair, most unbiased and non-argumentative) post I've seen you write. Thanks for this It made my Monday
Ya, pretty much surprised me too, but I didn't want say anything, for fear of being URL'd to death.

Nice post Darryl, you're getting close to an invite to MeatFest 2010.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jay,

It just dawned on me that if every things goes well, I will be in quantico during meatfest.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Renee Lee

Profile:

Oh No! Who's Picking Everybody Up From The Airport?!!!!

Last edited by Renee Lee : 10-12-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: :( the boards automatically censor all caps messages? this is unfortunate news
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Jay,

It just dawned on me that if every things goes well, I will be in quantico during meatfest.
Do you guys have an exact date for Meatfest already? I didn't realize it was in stone so far out.