CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: CF & alcohol??

Did someone say beer?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #22
Jason David

Profile:

I read that article that Jay Cohen posted a few days ago that says beer causes man boobs...I think I'm a gonna be a wine guy from now on. I wonder what they serve wine in at the ballpark. I don't think I can drink wine out of a plastic cup.

either way.

binging is bad. moderation is good. Non is best (or 1 or 2 per day - depending on what you read). We all know it, but none is the least fun...for me anyway.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #23
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Binge drinker, thanks!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #24
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:

Please. Much like sex, good music and the companionship of a faithful dog, alcohol in my center keeps me centered. At the risk of sounding trite; life is tragically too, too brief. Lighten up and pour.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
Jason W Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott Rezendes View Post
Please. Much like sex, good music and the companionship of a faithful dog, alcohol in my center keeps me centered. At the risk of sounding trite; life is tragically too, too brief. Lighten up and pour.
Seriously. I did Annie this morning, got home after work, cracked open a tall boy, and did 'round 200 more double-unders. Then another tall boy. Then some burpee pull-ups to show off in front of my kids. Doesn't happen every day. Don't over think a few beers, it's life. When my few beers really start to affect my CF times, maybe I'll reevaluate. Until then, whatevs. I'm sure the firebreathers don't sweat a couple every now and then, either.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #26
Kenny Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Govro View Post
Wow. You went from "I don't judge people who drink" to accusing the folks having beer after the cert of being binge drinkers.

Shades of grey, dude.

Actually I never accused anyone of anything, i was trying to get others opinions on this. yes, i was kind of shocked that beers were broken out at the cert. Again, this is just because it seems like such a health concious community and to me the 2 just don't belong together. Like i said it just seems like someone who works out and then smokes a cig. i was trying to get an idea of what people opinions were... I'm not trying to attack anyone for drinking, sorry if you got that impression. Just opening up a dialogue on the subject.

To your shades of grey....Is this a statement or a question - "I guess i was more or less wondering if there is a large % of CFers that regularly binge drink?" that is what i asked... Who am i accusing DUDE? and my other accusation..i mean question was "especially with the people who have stricter diets... do you drink alcohol??"
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Please give an example of an exercise community that does *not* indulge in alcohol on community occasions. (Your example must be from a place where alcohol is otherwise culturally okay and participants in the event must be of legal age. Pee wee football games don't count.)

*shrug* I know a classical jiu jitsu instructor who sometimes serves sake *before* class. He says it helps people relax and makes them more able to feel what he's demonstrating. So a couple of beers after a cert doesn't seem "off" at all.

Katherine
Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #28
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott Rezendes View Post
And with those words of wisdom this is where we can end this thread. Well said John.

Last edited by Jason Scheffler : 09-17-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Fixng posting before coffee mistakes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 AM   #29
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw
The more you drink the more you exercise.
Wow, what an awesome study.
  • As usual, causation cannot be established. There is a correlation between the quantity of fresh lemons imported from Mexico and the number of deaths on U.S. highways (w/fs) that has an (w/fs) value of 0.97 (much higher than this study, I'm guessing). One explanation is that the same people who drink a lot tend to hit the gym more often (a few stereotypes come to mind here).
  • Even then, seven minutes extra exercise per week? That's only statistically significant if the numbers are pretty darn low to begin with.
  • "Ten extra drinks per month are associated with a 2.0 percentage point increase in the probability of engaging in vigorous physical activity." Really? Associated with a 2% increase in the probability of engaging in vigorous physical activity? I'm going to go out on a limb and assert that driving a red car is associated with a 2% increase in the probability of enjoying Thai food.
  • It's a questionnaire. It's very likely those who drink more over reported their amount of exercise.

Sometimes I wish we had a :facepalm: emoticon.
Sorry but I'm usually too drunk to understand statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
I am assuming Darryl posted this as a joke...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #30
Chris Hede

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Binge drinker, thanks!
+1